Box hedging (Buxus Semperviren)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Looking for a bit of advise from our knowledgable CC' ers. I got 2 Box hedge trees in my front garden that look like they've been attacked by the Asian caterpillar. These trees must be at least 50 years old, and it would a shame to dig them up and destroy them. Does anybody know if they can be saved. Thanks in advance!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
They've had it I'm afraid. Dig out, replenish the soil and replace with something else.

tom73

Guru
Hard prune ,good feeding and watering maybe worth a go for small younger ones.
But sadly not a lot you can do with ones that well established so time to say good bye.
Give area a good dig over dig add a good amount of compost and replant.

Reactions: GM

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It looks like box blight to me. It's highly unlikely plants in this state can be brought back to life and even if successful the blight would return.

As above remove and burn. The soil beneath mature shrubs like these is likely to be in poor condition - very dry and lacking organic matter. As Tom advises dig in plenty of compost.

You need garden compost for this situation, well rotted organic matter from a compost heap. Don't use a peat based compost from a garden centre or DIY store. This will do little if anything to restore and improve the soil.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Shouldn't this be in the Privet Matters section?

He's hedging his bets.

PK99

Legendary Member
Looking for a bit of advise from our knowledgable CC' ers. I got 2 Box hedge trees in my front garden that look like they've been attacked by the Asian caterpillar. These trees must be at least 50 years old, and it would a shame to dig them up and destroy them. Does anybody know if they can be saved. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 519799

Box tree moth!

Relatively new pest in the UK.

Google will tell you all you need but don't want to know.

I took many metres of box hedging, balls, pyramids put of my garden when it struck locally.

Control may be possible, but is expensive and very Labour intensive.

OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
Thanks for your prompt replies. Looks like I'm going to be busy as soon as we get our green bin emptied, hopefully this weekend. In the meantime I can plan what's going to replace them. :okay:

pawl

Legendary Member
As above Blight I managed to save a pot grown one Pruned out one or two of the affected stems and repotted Obviously a lot smaller

As others have said Box blight has become more prevalent over the last rear or two.

PK99

Legendary Member
As above Blight I managed to save a pot grown one Pruned out one or two of the affected stems and repotted Obviously a lot smaller

As others have said Box blight has become more prevalent over the last rear or two.

Box blight damage

1588581191426.png

Box tree moth caterpillar damage
1588581311348.png

OP has Box Tree Moth not blight

1588581795824.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom