Box Hill - What a nice surprise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy84

Veteran
Decided to go out for a ride after work last night, Croydon through Sutton / Cheam / Leatherhead, up Box Hill then head back.

I noticed that the roads around Box Hill must have been the quietest I have ever seen them, I didn't see a single cyclist untill I was on the way back.(usually get overtaken by a few on the way up!)

When I (finally) got to the top around 7.30pm, I noticed a few people sitting on the National Trust picnic tables, I looked round to my right and the cafe was still open.

So of course I had to stop off for a nice big slice of cake and a Coke, apparently over the summer they are now open till 8pm on Fri-Sun nights.

I'll definatly be going back for a few more 'evening' rides, much less traffic, no queue at the cafe, a free table to sit at, and without all the roadies leaving me for dead going up the hill!

You'll be 'up' for the Cheam & Morden 'Hilly 50' then, Andy. Check out the thread in 'Informal Rides' and put it in your diary - it's a finish on top of Box Hill too! Hope you went a bit further round from the café to admire the view of England - it's enchanting.:tongue:

OP
OP
Andy84

Andy84

Veteran
I think I remember seeing the thread for the last Hilly 50, but at the time was a bit worried that I wouldnt be able to keep the pace.

The view point is great, I ride that way home (kind of circular route) so often find myself stopping twice! Was a shame I didnt have my camera, as the view was much clearer than I urually see it in the morning.

Top Bottom