Brackets for old model HPV SMGT - not SMGTe!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is annoying me now. I finally got round to putting an mpart bracket onto rear rack to allow sharpest light to be used out back. The rack tubing is too big to fit between the bolts/screws. That's after some time finding the right bolt in a longer length to fit it. First order of bolts turns out the screw thread part was not long enough from the end. Second set had to be flathead as there were no need key bolts in the hardware store I could actually get to. The yesterday I found the tuning diameter was wider than the distance between bolts. Loads of stupid mistakes.

So seriously, why aren't there more easily sourced brackets suitable for recumbents as well as normal bikes in the UK?

The issue with the older SMGT is it doesn't have the extra frame bolt on options the SMGTe has. There's possibly not many SMGTs in the UK, certainly not many post on forums. If there were I'd discuss it with them to see what they do. I like two lights front and rear for safety and redundancy but I can only use the bolt on light fitting on the rack. My seat is hardshell without fixing options. My rack is too thick for one option I found and I've not got my own fabrication option. No pipes, bars or anything to bodge a look end upright bar for a seat post rack.

Also not got a great set of options upfront for bottle cages, lights etc. This is annoying me as it's a very useful touring recumbent and seems ridiculous not to have good options for accessories on the bike.

This is annoying me now. I finally got round to putting an mpart bracket onto rear rack to allow sharpest light to be used out back. The rack tubing is too big to fit between the bolts/screws. That's after some time finding the right bolt in a longer length to fit it. First order of bolts turns out the screw thread part was not long enough from the end. Second set had to be flathead as there were no need key bolts in the hardware store I could actually get to. The yesterday I found the tuning diameter was wider than the distance between bolts. Loads of stupid mistakes.

So seriously, why aren't there more easily sourced brackets suitable for recumbents as well as normal bikes in the UK?

The issue with the older SMGT is it doesn't have the extra frame bolt on options the SMGTe has. There's possibly not many SMGTs in the UK, certainly not many post on forums. If there were I'd discuss it with them to see what they do. I like two lights front and rear for safety and redundancy but I can only use the bolt on light fitting on the rack. My seat is hardshell without fixing options. My rack is too thick for one option I found and I've not got my own fabrication option. No pipes, bars or anything to bodge a look end upright bar for a seat post rack.

Also not got a great set of options upfront for bottle cages, lights etc. This is annoying me as it's a very useful touring recumbent and seems ridiculous not to have good options for accessories on the bike.
can you post a picture of the rear rack? I have smgte....

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
The racks on the SMGT and SMGTe are the same but upfront there's more options with the SMGTe.

AIUI there's cage and other bolt on points on the SMGTe. There's only the derailleur stub with cage bolts but that's also the only option for brackets for lights I think. You could fix cage mounts to the frame with cable ties I think for bottles but not as many options as SMGTe.

I use an exposure Tracer which is one of the brightest and I put a cork around the bit of the rack.

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_150013395.jpg
    IMG_20220208_150013395.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220208_150009063.jpg
    IMG_20220208_150009063.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
My mistake, the rack is different. The top bed outer frame goes around the end with the light bracket being closer. Tubes could be a bigger diameter too by a bit.

Also, I need a vertical post to attach the light, well one that is at a typical upright bike's seatpost angle. Mind you I do use a cork elsewhere. Just before a tour with it I realised the cap on the stem had been lost. On a few rides I realised there's a possibility the sharp edges could hurt so I had to cap it. I only had a champagne style cork from a Belgian beer bottle which I made fit with the top part covering the sharp edges of the stem. Works well and still there. Not sure I could get it off now without a corkscrew.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Perhaps you could bodge a wrap-around with an old inner tube where the cork is?

Cable tie some round conduit for a vertical pipe?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
nice idea to ride with a champagne cork!
Planning on another Belgium tour. I might get a few spares! Can't remember what beer it was now. If it's Belgium it's got a good chance of being a good beer. I think it's only the English and Belgians who really get beer!

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Bodging is one thing, we do it a lot at work, but sometimes I think a bike is worth buying something made well for a particular need. I can't imagine it's only a recumbent need because I've seen enough bikes without the seatpost space free high enough to be above the wheel. I know you get a lot who simply put the light on the seat post even if it's obscured by the wheel but there's surely enough of us who won't do that for there to be a market.!

Top Bottom