Bradley Wiggins Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Garmin didn't recce the climbs!!!! What!

asterix

Comrade Member
He's good at doing the media thing, more savvy than Cavendish. But there's no doubt he's now a contender.

The Spanish winner of the 2008 Tour finished 13 places behind Wiggins this year. And yet, as I remind him, Wiggins outclimbed Sastre and Cadel Evans. "Yeah," he grins, "and [Andreas] Klöden [a former Tour runner-up who finished sixth]. I beat all those guys. The first time I realised I could do it was on Verbier [on the middle Sunday]. I attacked Armstrong's group and I had an out-of-body experience there – where I saw myself leaving Klöden, Evans and Armstrong in the Tour de bloody France. It didn't feel right. It was very strange."

He felt like Simpson was riding next to him on Ventoux: OK Bradley, you're the man, whatever you say.

He sounds tired, elated, disjointed, confused and surprised all at once. Who wouldn't be after a performance like that though.

Definitely very exciting to see him ride so well. I hope he can repeat it, it sounds he was pretty much on the edge of his physical and mental limits for the Tour and is now suffering as a result. Let's hope the recovery goes well.

yello

I liked that interview a great deal. Wiggins is thoughtful and reflective. His TdF experience seems to be almost surreal to him... yet he's knows what he's achieved and where he wants to go with it. I'm surprised to say I feel immensely proud of him!

asterix

Comrade Member
Crackle said:
He felt like Simpson was riding next to him on Ventoux: OK Bradley, you're the man, whatever you say.

He sounds tired, elated, disjointed, confused and surprised all at once. Who wouldn't be after a performance like that though.

Definitely very exciting to see him ride so well. I hope he can repeat it, it sounds he was pretty much on the edge of his physical and mental limits for the Tour and is now suffering as a result. Let's hope the recovery goes well.

Yes but how come he sounded like that at the beginning of the TdF?

At least he didn't sound like a prat;)

User269

Brilliant ride by Wiggins, and he's connecting with the magic, legend, and tradition of the Tour. That's what it's all about!

yello

User269 said:
and he's connecting with the magic, legend, and tradition of the Tour. That's what it's all about!

I reckon you could be on to something there. I reckon it's possibly why Cav was regarded as a touch bumptious by the TdF purist-ista types. Not that he was necessarily arrogant but just a tad disrespectful. Brad seems, on the other hand, to be tapping into that vibe.

Good interview, exactly what I would have expected from him. As others have said, let's hope his recovery goes well and he's up there again next year.

All my sports mad (but non-cycling) mates, kept referring to Cav's fantastic achievements during the tour (which they certainly were) but for me, Bradley was the man.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Toshiba Boy said:
Good interview, exactly what I would have expected from him. As others have said, let's hope his recovery goes well and he's up there again next year.

All my sports mad (but non-cycling) mates, kept referring to Cav's fantastic achievements during the tour (which they certainly were) but for me, Bradley was the man.

Agreed, Cav's unbelievable, but really didn't have too much competition to keep his eye on this year. Wiggins on the other hand slugged it out with the big guns all the way.
I hope word of what these 2 guys achieved resonates with Joe Public.

Top Bottom