Brailsford for a gong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recall the euphoria after England's 2003 RWC triumph. Much was made of the driven, detailed, no-stone-unturned, total-positivity methods of Sir Woodward of Woodward.

I like to watch rugby, but am too small and cowardly ever to have been much of a player. I have nephews who play to a high level and have great respect for those who play the game.

So... Sir Woodward of Woodward got a knighthood for winning a world cup against several nations of which perhaps four had a fair chance of winning the final. It was a great thing he did, but rugby is hardly football. To make the World Cup, countries like Russia, Namibia and Romania are included... giving awat 150 or more points before being dumped out at the group stage. I take nothing away from Rugby, but a World Sport it is not. Woodward's boys, for all their flair and courage, won the equivalent of the 6-nations with three S Hemi sides glued on.

So... Brailsford. He has done a Sir Woodward of Woodward to UK cycling and has (admittedly with big money) build a most excellent pro-cycling team at Sky. His athletes have already won billions (literally) of medals and his boys are likely to get Bwiggins to the Chompsie Lissay in Yellow.

There is a fair possibility that his boys and girls will also do reasonably well in London.

Lots of talk of Sir Wiggins and Lord Manx of Missile, but if we're going to throw gongs around isn't Brailsford near the front of the queue?

Discuss.

raindog

er.....
Can we wait untill Brad crosses the line in yellow on sunday before we go into this stuff?
I'm not particularly superstitious but.........

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Can we wait untill Brad crosses the line in yellow on sunday before we go into this stuff?
I'm not particularly superstitious but.........

So you're saying Wiggins is going to win, right? Well it's got to be, hasn't it.

No way he can lose now, is there? Nothing can jinx him now if you ask me.

What? :ohmy:

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Brailsford already has a gong!!!!!!

Aaaah.... Ummmm..... fluster, bluster.....

Yes, he does appear to have one. Yes, I see what you mean....

So that would make this thread redundand. Up to a point. Going forward.

I really meant a Sir Gong type of gong, but I admit I was unaware of the CBE and that it a pretty marvellous gong to get.

Sadly, I think I've just become the first person in the history of the Internet to go off at an absurd tangent with a proposition that I try to fly despite it being opposed to all the facts.

I hope the Internet community will forgive me this blunder and I pray that nobody ever does this again.

I am as sorry as I am stupid. Which is Very.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

I thought you were saying that. I'm saying the race isn't over yet.

But you were the one who said: "Can we wait untill Brad crosses the line in yellow on sunday before we go into this stuff?"

This appears a fairly clear and indicative clause presupposing the crossing of the line by Bwiggins in a yellow jumper on Sunday. This counts as a win.

That being so and with everything ipso facto and assuming the prerequisite presence of timeo danaos et donor ferentes, then it would appear that you are confidently predicting a Wiggins victory.

Aren't you worried that might jinx him?

Do you have any money on this?

But you were the one who said: "Can we wait untill Brad crosses the line in yellow on sunday before we go into this stuff?"

This appears a fairly clear and indicative clause presupposing the crossing of the line by Bwiggins in a yellow jumper on Sunday. This counts as a win.

That being so and with everything ipso facto and assuming the prerequisite presence of timeo danaos et donor ferentes, then it would appear that you are confidently predicting a Wiggins victory.

Aren't you worried that might jinx him?

Do you have any money on this?
What's latin for 'smartarse'?

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

What's latin for 'smartarse'?

I have no idea. The Latin I quoted was in the English translations of Asterix the Gaul (first quote) and Asterix the Legionary (second qote).

I worked in translation for many years and have seldom seen a better job than those done by Messrs. Hodder & Stoughton on the works of Goscinny & Uderzo.

If anyone knows a better literary translation, what is it?

I have no idea. The Latin I quoted was in the English translations of Asterix the Gaul (first quote) and Asterix the Legionary (second qote).

I worked in translation for many years and have seldom seen a better job than those done by Messrs. Hodder & Stoughton on the works of Goscinny & Uderzo.

If anyone knows a better literary translation, what is it?
:laugh:
Excellent! Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge IIRC (and without checking on Wiki). Absolute literary heroes. :bravo:

Buddfox

Veteran
I would expect to see Sir David Brailsford before we see Sir Bradley Wiggins or Sir Mark Cavendish. In fact, if 2012 goes well I think we'd see a knighthood for him, even if Wiggo doesn't win on Sunday

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Only a knighthood for the Jensie. Why be so mean?

Lord Hard of Jensie, The Duke of Tough, I'd vote him into an elected second chamber.

Elected second chamber? Isn't it still treason to speak like this?

A German Peer of the Realm? What sedition is this?

My patriotism is entirely a function of the established fact that our Head of State is from an English family (surname Windsor, so that's obvious).

If we start letting Johnny Foreigner into our Royal Line, we might as well have just rolled over in 1940 and let them come over and start building Audis in Cowley.

You know I'm right, even if I'm patently wrong.

Top Bottom