Brailsford interview in the Scotsman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Compared to teams I have known, the Sky "tensions" are noddy in toyland stuff. At least they are well organised, look after the riders, and people get paid!

tigger

Über Member
I can imagine ORM. Training and coaching aside, the biggest problem with any team must be the man management I'd have thought. All those different personalities and ambitions are not always going to gel naturally. Brailsford does strike me as a great man manager, as well an astute analyst. Sir Dave for PM I say!

Hont

Guru
Not sure that article - as interesting as it was - actually shed much light on the Froome/Wiggins thing. Most of Brailsfords quotes were fairly bland, sandwiched between Journalistic editorial to put a slant on it.

More revealing was the bit in Road to Glory where Brailsford and (Sutton or Yates? Can't remember) were working out their story for the press after Froome was called back. First question from the press was what had they been talking about and he tells a barefaced lie (albeit with a smile) - that they were talking about the Hotel for the night.

resal

Veteran
I am with you Hont. Bland questions, with bland responses and then no counter. Absolutely everything in a single interview that has left the sport in the gutter. What with the obvious Barry story about to break (what the heck was Brailsford doing hiring him ! - Big schadenfreude moment when I found out USADA had questioned him) and Leinders there was loads of scope for topical probing questions, even before we had the USADA report released. Yates ? DS with Lance. Was this a Carmichael cover story ?

Then Oldroadman has it right - kindergarten stuff. Nail on the head about pay. Before the minimum wage, riders had contracts but as to whether they ever got what was agreed, was an entirely different matter. Some horrific stories out there. Ride your a r s e off all year for nearly nothing. Much better for the men now, and Sky are good with wages and superb with organisation. That brings 2 vital points, that Moore ignores. What is going on for the GB girls ? (The girls still don't have a minimum wage.) No team Sky ? What's the deal there ? I know what I hear and that is not nice. Shane Sutton doing absolutely everything he can to support Brad in his idea of running a women's team? As supportive as ever ?

Finally the big one. How do these employees of the public purse get remuneration from Sky ? How are they hired out ? Yes, I know the answer, it is complete cobblers. Conflict of interest written all over it.

A load of tough questions could have been asked even before the USADA file was released. No this was a mutual love in. Typical sporting journo asking only those questions that would burnish the subject and secure another bland interview.

Top Bottom