Brainfreeze?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclebum

Hi folks,
I've just got back from a great hols in Canada but l could not resist finding a cycle hire shop. Unfortunately they only had bike rentals so that did instead! It was late in the afternoon with beautiful clear blue skies and scenery to match but the temp didnt. With the massive wind rush I created as I tore round the cylce trails I soon had a searing headache right in the centre of my forhead like I had been struck by an iceburg! Eventually I had to stop till it eased off though I had a pain for over 24 hours. I mentioned it back at the bike shop and the girl there just said, "oh yeh, brain freeze, I've stopped wearing my helmet now and stick to woolly hats!"
Has anyone else had this problem and how can I avoid getting it again especially without losing the helmet or looking like a total prat (I look enough like one already without making it worse!)

wear a Buff

L

You can get skull caps to wear under helmets...or wear a headband with the helmet on top that might help...

Buffs are those weird and wonderful creations that can go round your neck like a scarf, but also double up as a hood or hat, I keep thinking I should get one, but have not got round to it yet...

http://www.buffwear.com/

But at least you are unlikely to encounter brain freeze in India! :blush:

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

I know what you mean now (pardon my newbie ignorance:blush: ) I had planned to get a uv protective one for India. Thanks for the advice I'll get myself one before our temps here drop :blush:. Can't believe I've never had this before!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have a polay buff, and i wear it round my neck. You can also wear the fleece bit round your neck, and the buf material bit going up, to stop brain freeze.
I'm sure mine makes my neck sweat. Whats dissapointing is that they dont do a reflective polar buff. That would be really good.

bonj2

is that the same sort of thing as when you eat lots of icecream too fast?

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Why would you want to eat ice cream fast?, it should be eaten slowly and delicately and the moment enjoyed, well with chocolate ice cream anyway- but then is there any other kind of ice cream

Cheddar George

oober member
I use an Aldi 99 pence sweatband thingy, it keeps my ears warm and stops brain freeze on descents. I find it ideal as i get to hot in a hat even in the winter, i may have to rethink this next year as the way my hair is going i will look more like Marco Pantani by then.

Arch

Married to Night Train
tomb1960 said:
I think Bonj is right this brainfreeze mallarkey sounds just like 'ice-cream headache'

My icecream headache is usually choosing between flavours...:blush:

Another vote for a buff. Also excellent for shading your head and neck from the sun, using as a hairband to keep longer hair out of your eyes, or as a scrunchie to tie hair back, or to wear round the neck and pull up over your mouth to avoid inhaling midges if you have to pass through a cloud of them...

And they roll up to virtually nothing, so you can carry one everywear. I suspect in an emergency they could be used as bandages, to hold splints. You could probably even find a use as emergency bike repair...

Christopher

Über Member
Another vote for Buffs. You can fold the normal one over and get a double thickness.

However I sometimes use a fleece headband (a climbers'-type thing) or a thin balaclava in colder weather, but both require a lot of messing with the helmet straps to get everything right.

If you don't want to look like a dork then don't put plastic wrap over the helmet. Cheap and effective but looks terrible!

Ironically cheap helmets can be quite warm as they have less vents...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Saw a woman today riding with her anorak hood up and the helmet perched on top, far too far back on the head. Apart from the virtually useless position of the helmet, I can't imagine she had any peripheral vision.

Top Bottom