Brake and gear cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, the inners have different nipples on the end and are different diameters. The gear inners are 1.2mm and the brakes 1.5/1.6mm. The outers are 4mm and 5mm respectively

lpretro1

It looks fine - just get yourself some good cable cutters to do the job properly. Don't leave any jagged ends as this can cause cable drag. Watch out cos when you buy a kit like that you may find that some of the wires are cut shorter than the others - short brake one is for front and longer gear one for rear gear for example

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

It looks fine - just get yourself some good cable cutters to do the job properly. Don't leave any jagged ends as this can cause cable drag. Watch out cos when you buy a kit like that you may find that some of the wires are cut shorter than the others - short brake one is for front and longer gear one for rear gear for example
I've never changed a SRAM rival gear/brake cable set before so should be fun.

lpretro1

I find with SRAM front gears you have to get the cable quite tight. Just take your time and take photos of cabling routing as you remove them. Is it internal cables or external?

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I find with SRAM front gears you have to get the cable quite tight. Just take your time and take photos of cabling routing as you remove them. Is it internal cables or external?
What do you mean by tight. I've replaced MTB gear cables before just not road ones. Yes I will take pics etc, I'll have to youtube this as I cannot even see how to remove the brake or gear cables yet lol.

Top Bottom