Brake and Gear Cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I always used to solder the ends of my cables to stop them from fraying and this was especially useful if cutting down a long cable. In the latter case I could solder around the place I was going to cut and then cut the cable with ease and with no splaying or fraying.

In recent times I have been unable to solder the cables at all. The solder just won't wet the cable material. My solder and soldering irons and flux remain the same so I conclude that the cable material has changed. Does anyone know what's what here as I really prefer the solder solution to this problem.

Do I need RoHS soldering technology B)

accountantpete

Brexiteer
No idea but have you tried

1.The metal deeleys that pinch on.

2. A drop of superglue.

3.Decent cable cutters that leave a neat and tidy cut?

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
accountantpete said:

2. A drop of superglue.

3.Decent cable cutters that leave a neat and tidy cut?

Yeah -
#1 tends to splay the ends making re using a mega pain:sad: Recently I needed to diagnose my indexing gears problem (they were intermittently slipping) so i wanted to take the cable in and out of the sheathing. It was a real pain B)

#2 I haven't tried but generally I fail to make super glue work :blush:

#3 Well my "decent" cutters are a bit old (but are fine on soldered cables) but I predict I'll need to be buying new ones ad nauseam :thumbsup:
And the ends will still fray/splay :sad:

normgow

Guru
accountantpete said:

These little caps are good, an alternative, which I used for a long while, would be aluminium spoke nipples.
I once bought a load of these in an attempt to save weight on wheels but nearly always stripped the thread whilst tensioning spokes so found this other use for them.:wacko:

tyred

Legendary Member
twentysix by twentyfive said:
I always used to solder the ends of my cables to stop them from fraying and this was especially useful if cutting down a long cable. In the latter case I could solder around the place I was going to cut and then cut the cable with ease and with no splaying or fraying.

In recent times I have been unable to solder the cables at all. The solder just won't wet the cable material. My solder and soldering irons and flux remain the same so I conclude that the cable material has changed. Does anyone know what's what here as I really prefer the solder solution to this problem.

Do I need RoHS soldering technology :wacko:

So it isn't just me. I tried and couldn't solder the gear cable I fitted last night. I just left it but in fairness, it didn't splay at all.

Big John

Guru
Park cable cutters and end caps. Simples. Never had a problem (apart from finding the cash for the Park cable cutters, of course!).

Tynan

Veteran
in a rather pikey moment I used a bit of electrical tape and then went thr whole hog and used bits to do the frame under all the cable rub spots

and 'cut' the bits with my teeth

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I burn the cable until it's red, with a lighter then use cable cutters.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Dave5N said:
Yep. Cables dont splay if you put cap on properly.

So what am I doing wrong? I push the cap (aluminium thingy) on and squash it a tiny bit so it doesn't fall off. Then if I remove I reverse the squash by pressing at 90 degrees to re-open the cap and slide off. The act of squashing the first time can and does splay the cable :biggrin:

gwhite

Über Member
twentysix by twentyfive said:
So what am I doing wrong? I push the cap (aluminium thingy) on and squash it a tiny bit so it doesn't fall off. Then if I remove I reverse the squash by pressing at 90 degrees to re-open the cap and slide off. The act of squashing the first time can and does splay the cable :rofl:

You are right, it does. I no longer use this method because of this problem so now use heat shrink applied with a Heat Gun (or Hair Dryer if you haven't got one). This makes a very neat job and the cable remains un-frayed.

The reason that soldering no longer works is that now most cables are Stainless steel.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
gwhite said:
You are right, it does. I no longer use this method because of this problem so now use heat shrink applied with a Heat Gun (or Hair Dryer if you haven't got one). This makes a very neat job and the cable remains un-frayed.

The reason that soldering no longer works is that now most cables are Stainless steel.

Ah Ha - good one.:ohmy: I suppose "welding" wouldn't work? :laugh:

Off to the shops for some heat shrink.

Thanks GW

Top Bottom