Brake Blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not a cafe topic, but I spend most of my forum time in here, so...
I need a pair of Shimano Tektro brake blocks, but Wiggle don't do them (or not at the moment, anyway). Anyone know where (online, I'm a busy chap and have no LBS within easy reach ;), i.e. today or this weekend)
OR.... what else might fit?
Cheers

Aren't tektro a different brand to shimano?
What kind of blocks do you want? Cartridge or the other kind (don't know what they're called).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Are they for calliper, cantilever or V brakes? I have used Aztec blocks for years, they seem very good IMHO.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kirstie said:
Aren't tektro a different brand to shimano?
Jeez, my lack of technical savvy never ceases to amaze me ;):blush:
Well, they're caliper brakes, made by Tektro (who, I now know aren't Shimano) :biggrin:
Went to a motor parts shop locally (LBS closed down a year or more ago) and the guy tried to fob me off with BMX blocks, which looked rather too chunky for my liking! :smile:

Chris James

Über Member
I believe Tektro are Shimano compatible.

Just check if they are the cartridge type (blocks wil slide out of holders). Just about any bike shop will sell Shimano ones as spares. There are lots of other manufacturers too, eg Kool Stop, Aztec, Fibrax, Swiss Stop.

Kool Stop Salmons seem a popular choice on this forum.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've heard Shimano ones are best avoided. I use Aztec and like them a lot, tho' I have heard rumours they wear out your rims. I get the feeling kool-stop are generally thought to be the very best - but they have a price to match. Yer pays yer money...

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
OK folks, please bear with me.... I have the technical opposite of the Midas touch... everything I try to do turns to cr@p :smile:
In a fit of "oh blinking flip, they'll fit, they're bound to", I bought some of
shimano%2083g%209801.jpg

But they don't fit. Now the ones I'm replacing, on further investigation, are Tektro P451, (you can see them in the picture below). They don't seem to exist any more... anyone got any ideas? :smile:

mondobongo

Über Member
What about these??
They are a solid rubber block similar to what you are taking off.

What is wrong with the replacement blocks you have already bought?

NickM

Veteran
Oi, Fnaar... brakes are too critical to skimp on, so stop messing about and get yourself a set of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2954

Throw away the original brake blocks (you'll need a small Allen key, 2.5mm if memory serves, to remove and replace the grub screw) and substitute these:

http://www.mikevaughancycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b0s104p443

Bob will then be your father's brother! Superb, sustained all-weather brake performance, and mine have lasted more than a year of commuting.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
mondobongo said:
They are a solid rubber block similar to what you are taking off.
What is wrong with the replacement blocks you have already bought?
Basically, there isn't enough room (not even nearly enough room) between where they attach and the wheel rim. Even if I twiddle (note the technical term:smile:) with the cable, so that the caliper arms move out a bit, still not anywhere close....:smile:

Top Bottom