Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
I have been to the bike shop for a set of brake blocks. All they keep are modern ones with Allen headed securing bolts. My brakes blocks are on some old Miche callipers that are about 25 years old and have a stud and nut to hold them. The ones in the bike shop were not long enough where they attach to the calliper. I have had a bit of a google but can't readily find any with the stud and nut like mine. Would I find some modern ones that would fit or will I need to go with the original type?
Many thanks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Would the stud on these be long enough?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I use modern 70mm allen key fixing blocks on my 1960s Flyer with GB Courier 66 brakes. Traditional CP brake with better braking capabilities.
P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg

Attachments

• P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg
    P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 34

pclay

Veteran
I use modern 70mm allen key fixing blocks on my 1960s Flyer with GB Courier 66 brakes. Traditional CP brake with better braking capabilities.
P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg
That bike looks interesting, would like to see a pic of the whole bike.

Attachments

P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg
Would the stud on these be long enough?

Yes those look like mine. Just wondering whether the compound will be really hard though.

I would rather use some more modern ones that won't wear away the rims as quick.

I might try something like those in the picture. Could take the whole calliper along to one of the bike shops I suppose and see what they have to fit.
Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Attachments

P5244795_zps1gypw7oh.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Stunning bike by the way. Love it.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Yes those look like mine. Just wondering whether the compound will be really hard though.

I would rather use some more modern ones that won't wear away the rims as quick.

I might try something like those in the picture. Could take the whole calliper along to one of the bike shops I suppose and see what they have to fit.
Many thanks for the helpful replies.

These are modern 70mm blocks with a compound that can be changed from black to salmon inserts, I use these on a number of my retro rides with period brakes and they work superbly in the wet as well as dry, they are no abrasive like some.

Top Bottom