Brake bosses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
Wondered whether anyone else has experienced a similar problem to mine. I have a Surly LHT frame and think it's the dog's pyjamas. I fitted the cheap Shimano cantilever brakes I had at the time, and, although quite snug fitting them onto the bosses, i didn't think this was a problem - it certainly didn't seem to affect their performance. Getting them off however, involved a hammer and a screwdriver and a lot of swearing!. They seemed to slide off for about half a centimetre and then get jammed. they were well lubricated (oo-er - cheap joke) so this wasn't the problem. When I did finally get them off, i slid them onto the bosses on another frame i have kicking about and they went on and off very easily. Does the Surly have slightly larger bosses does anyone know? Maybe the Shimano brakes are snug?!? I am hoping that the new Tektro CR720's I have bought will fit OK and that I haven't got a funny Surly frame so any advice etc you can give would be gratefully received, as always.

e-rider

crappy member
do the bosses have paint overspray on them?

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
No, all bare metal. At the extreme end there is a 1mm band of shinier metal where presumably the brakes were getting stuck and had to be 'eased' off, but this is not raised or damaged in any way. Really strange. Just hope any new cantis I buy won't be the same

Top Bottom