Brake Caliper Help ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grayduff

Über Member
I have 2013 Sora Components fitted to my Specialized Road bike, whilst i am just about as happy as i can be with the group set at this stage (upgrade one day) I am not that happy with the brake calipers, Tektras i believe, my question is can i fit Shimano 105 5700 or Ultegra 6700 or can anybody else recommend an alternative..Cheers in advance.,:thumbsup:

Nebulous

Guru
I'm not sure what type of pads the Tektra's have but often recommended for brake upgrades is to change the pads to the ones with a metal casing. I had Tiagra with the all-in-one pad and didn't like them. I changed them for 105s with the separate metal shoe and slot in pad and regard it as a significant upgrade. I really like them. Its worth it being careful with cleaning them to keep the gunk off and oiling the pivot points regularly.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The deep drop brake calipers typically fit Audax bikes or tourers. Ones with permanent mudguards fitted (they provide additional clearance). The majority of 'normal' road bikes will come with standard or short drop calipers (not the 57mm deep drop ones). I would suggest the Roubaix is the standard style but am happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better :smile:

FWIW, I have found Tektro calipers to be spongey and a set of genuine Shimano ones, will be much more responsive. Of course, You should probably try just switching out the pads first - something like Koolstop Salmons will make a big difference. Also try to clean the rims fairly regularly, especially after mucky rides.

OP
OP
Grayduff

Grayduff

Über Member
The deep drop brake calipers typically fit Audax bikes or tourers. Ones with permanent mudguards fitted (they provide additional clearance). The majority of 'normal' road bikes will come with standard or short drop calipers (not the 57mm deep drop ones). I would suggest the Roubaix is the standard style but am happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better :smile:

FWIW, I have found Tektro calipers to be spongey and a set of genuine Shimano ones, will be much more responsive. Of course, You should probably try just switching out the pads first - something like Koolstop Salmons will make a big difference. Also try to clean the rims fairly regularly, especially after mucky rides.
Cheers i will try new pads first...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i had those tektro's on my defy - tweeked them, changed pads and they were still shocking

switched them out for a set of sram apex with swisstops and now i can stop too

Kies

I find my Triban stops quicker than my Defy .... Will try some koolstops before calipers.
What sort of cost am i looking at for 105 or Ultegras?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I find my Triban stops quicker than my Defy .... Will try some koolstops before calipers.
What sort of cost am i looking at for 105 or Ultegras?
sram apex cost £40 a pair with swisstop pads - they are extremely good at stopping a 17stone male going downhill at 35mph,when a blue ford fiesta pulls out of a junction while looking at you square in the eyes. Ask me how i know this :cursing:

wakou

Über Member
sram apex cost £40 a pair with swisstop pads - :cursing:

I would like to second this post, after much research I thought that the apex brakes with 'free' Swiss-Stops were an absolute bargain, I was going to buy Koolstops anyway but for £40.00 or so to change my callipers to ones that match my bike, and get top quality pads thrown in? No brainer!

Top Bottom