Brake Efficiency Research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowanchick94

Hi Guys,

I'm currently studying Product Design and Technology at Loughborough University, and for my final year project I'm looking at developing road bike handlebars and brake levers to improve braking efficiency.

The main area of my focus is brake lever positioning and how this can be adapted around the bar to make braking easier. From earlier research I have found that a problem with braking is that from 'resting' hand positions, it can be hard to adjust hand positioning to apply the brakes. Other than adding multiple brake levers, as the whole of the bar can't be covered with them efficiently, does anybody have any ideas on how I can take on this problem.

I would also appreciate it if anyone has any braking problems that they could highlight, or any suggestions on how braking can be made easier/ more efficient.

I have a very quick survey active that I would be thankful if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z3WL3V9

I will be grateful for any positive response, and I look forward to any feedback you may have.

Many thanks.

Would love to see your conclusions as I don't like the brakes on my road bike.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Rowanchick - welcome to cyclechat
I've done your survey. A slight problem with it is that many folks on here have more than one bike. I could enter more than one in the 'type of bike' section, but not in later sections.

My thoughts on brakes.
As I put in the survey, my most comfortable riding position on my tourer with drop bars is just back from being on the hoods (picture C) in your survey. I know that some people can brake from this position (or from just slightly further forwards - on the hoods proper). I can't - possible from having weaker hands than some. Although I'm female, my hands are not particularly small or weak, but I cannot get enough leverage on the brakes unless my hands are in your position B. This means that in traffic I have to ride in B in case I need to brake suddenly, but that body position I do not find as good for looking around me. I would love to be able to brake more effectively from positions C and D without having extra brake levers - my bars are already full with light and computer mounts.

I do ride in position E sometimes (can't do F cos of stuff on the handlebars) - but I'm not too bothered about being able to brake from that position.

And once or twice when braking sharply I've been shocked by how inefficient the brakes are - just normal rim brakes. I suppose the answer to this would be disc brakes, but if the efficiency of normal rim brakes could be improved that would be great.

Sadly, I have no idea how to do either of these things - so I cannot really help with that part of your research.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Done. To the folks who don't like their brakes, try different pads as this can make a huge change as how the brakes feel and perform.

sidevalve

Über Member
Just a thought there needs to be a comparison between brake efficiency and tyre adhesion. Super dooper brakes are ok but if they are just too good all that happens is that you start to fall off a lot. It's ok saying 'don't pull on the lever so hard' but in an emergency you don't have time to think about delicacy of touch

Good luck with this, I feel that there isn't much of a point doing this because the most effective solutions are available already! The thing about braking on a bicycle, is, you don't need to be constantly hovering over the brake leer throughout your ride, same as in a car - you aren't always hovering over the brake pedal. They need to be available easily, of course, but not within immediate grasp.
The most effective solution to your design theory, is to remove the levers from the bars, and have then in your grasp permanently, much like a glove, so that the brakes would always be available, no matter where your hands were positioned - now, there's a thought for you!

Drago

Legendary Member
In an average Joe and can lock even my rim brakes in the dry and other forms of braking are liable to be manlier still. It the proverbial answer to the question no one was asking.

Mrs M

Guru
Hello :welcome:
Survey done.

Top Bottom