Brake Ferrules?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marijuana

Currently restoring dawes galaxy. I had to replace the brake cables, doing so I pretty much ripped and cut them out to free them from the levers. Whilst doing this I removed [destroyed] the plastic nipple things at the end of each lever where the cable comes out...assuming they would be supplied with new cables. Upon a trip to my local bike shop I found out this set up isnt standard on racing bikes anymore.

my questions - are these nipple things BRAKE FERRULES? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Bicycle-Vintage-ferrules-outers/dp/B007M8RUOW/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-ALLOY-O...bikeparts_SR&hash=item2305bb4490#ht_500wt_838

To fit onto wienmann levers?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
look like it but not great picture

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As far as I know, the ferrules are the thing you crimp onto the end of the cable outer. You also crimp a smaller ferrules onto the end of the cable when is is clamped and snipped to length. What it sounds like you broke, is something else.

raindog

er.....
Brake ferrules slip over the ends of the outer cables to give them a hard base and stop them moving about in the housing of the levers and also where they anchor onto the brake caliper.
Some look like this.
EDIT
you don't crimp them, they just slide on
!BwVDdhQBGk~$(KGrHqR,!jQEv1+0CB9vBMIcMiJM)g~~_35.JPG

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Brake ferrules slip over the ends of the outer cables to give them a hard base and stop them moving about in the housing of the levers and also where they anchor onto the brake caliper.
Some look like this.
EDIT
you don't crimp them, they just slide on
!BwVDdhQBGk~$(KGrHqR,!jQEv1+0CB9vBMIcMiJM)g~~_35.JPG

Correct! My bad.

OP
OP
marijuana

marijuana

yeah I've plenty of those ferrules and the smaller ones for the cable inners, they arn't a problem.
If what I'm looking for are not ferrules, how come those 2 item lots on Amazon and ebay are both called ferrules and would they sort my issue?

sidevalve

Über Member
I believe what you mean are the ferrules [yes I think they are still ferrules] that allow the cable to be removed from the lever via a slot. If so then yep these are the bits you need and either of the above will do the job.

OP
OP
marijuana

marijuana

sexy stuff ill get on it, they were white...but out with the old and in with the new! anyone know how to calibrate/fix the rear derailleur?

Top Bottom