brake hose mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Older forks and frames do not have mounts for disc brake hoses and although there may be gubbins thatr can be bought, I was using strips cut from plastic bottles held to the brake boss via a bolt. It worked but well, looked like strips cut from plastic bottles held to the brake boss via a bolt.

So having some 3/16 hose clips, as used for car brake pipes, thought I'd make something nicer looking and lighter.

Forks tend to have M5 thread for the brake bosses that are removed. I put on a short length of M5 thread onto an 8mm aluminium rod from B&Q and cut it a couple mm above the thread - the unthreaded part to stop the plug from screwing all the way in. I drilled and tapped M4 and finally a saw cut to act as a screwdriver slot (I hack saw bladed is used to screw the plug in).

first photo shows the plug - the M4 hole is offcentre since I do not have a lathe and next photo shows it fitted.

DSC06867.jpg

DSC06871.jpg

The rear brake bosses are tapped to some fine possible non metric thread, larger than M8 so I could not make a plug from aluminium.

I have strip of plastic and made a T-shaped plug, drilled to take a self tapper. Photo shows home made cutters. Some fetting with a file was needed. For the second of these plugs, I used a hacksaw to put some thread - very crude but worked well enough to allow t he plug to be screwed in. Left hand shows previous mount - cut down brake boss, plastic bottle strip and bolt - right hand shows the plug, clip and tools to make it.

Last photo shows the plug fitted.
DSC06872.jpg

DSC06875.jpg

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
err, couple of errors - it sold have said forks are tapped to M8 and I put an M8 thread onto 8 mm dia. rod ... but you had figured that out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... I'm sure I bought something like that a few years ago when I got my first disc brakes... the bolt fitted the redundant brake boss hole....

Top Bottom