Brake Levers for weak hands??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Must have a Google on those unless you have a linky/simple explanation :smile:
Picture of one of my bikes with them
Link, there are a couple of options depending on diameter of bars

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/tektro-rl721-cx-brake-levers/rp-prod36636

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What's wrong with a new (to her) bike (to take advantage of the ease of disc braking)? Have you had one (a new (to you) bike) recently? You'll "know where you are", then.
Staying with the current bike, besides ^^ @fossyant 's suggestions, how about a:
Hausbell Grip Strength Trainer
Yep - I did suggest the Grip strengthener but that was treated with silence :sad:. She's just said that she doesn't want a new bike :ohmy:

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at what she does and the mechanics of the current set up first. See if that can be improved. Then move on to new kit type solutions. One problem is that she is intermittent with her riding so it's difficult to get timely feedback. But hey ho ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano Sora hoods are really chunky/bulbous for smaller hands. Two of my friends have them and both use crosslevers. SRAM hoods on my bikes are slimmer but I still have the secondary levers. Much more comfortable and for me, secure, going downhill. I ride mostly on the hoods, but 90% of time I brake on the tops

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It's really curious how different brands of levers have different pull lengths (and hence probably different mechanical advantages) but aren't advertized, I've always thought it would be interesting. Anyway, since they are Shimano STI, my 2 pennies worth is:

i. obviously keep rims clean and pads clean with good condition cables (sorry I know it's obvious but have to put it in)
ii. change to a better quality brake pad (e.g. I'd recommend Salmon Koolstops or similar -they are a softer compound that give really good braking performance) for less pull effort
iii. twentysix by twentyfive mentioned it above, but cross/inline brake levers could be a good idea as well. These are brake levers that are mounted on flat part of your bars inline with the brake cable that allow for more "traditional" hand position braking (see

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ZgNrS7hSc
). I have these on my touring bikes and find them pretty good.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The suggestion to fit softer compound pads is a good one. The shorter life won't matter if the rider isn't heavy or riding frequently.

Top Bottom