Brake lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In trying to find the relective spoke's mentioned on another thread, I've come across these brake lights for bikes:
http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/product_info.php?cPath=69_14_41&products_id=3
Has anyone ever seen these... I can't get the picture to enlarge so I can't see exactly where the light is.... does anyone know anything about how they work and any opinion over whether there is any need for them?

Found on another site with better photos:
http://www.bike-x.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=295&osCsid=b3c2a3a2db615913e7c2dce669305cb9
still not sure how it knows when you are braking, and if the angle of the brakes will mean the lights aren't facing backwards?

SamNichols

It'll work on a basic switch system: when you brake the pressure will turn the light on. I'm not sure where the switch is housed, whether it is on the surface of the pad or not. Either way it's a relatively uncomplicated system.
The angle is back and slightly upwards. You can of course mount them the other way if you want, but that would be a bit pointless.

Never seen them before in my life, and I'm not even sure if they're road legal or not, but they look like a fairly good secondary system. I wouldn't rely on them, but at least they increase the visibility.

PrettyboyTim

Dave5N said:
Absolutely no point.

I would have thought that brakelights on bikes would be just as useful as brakelights on cars. However I'm guessing that these particular ones aren't very bright and would be largely obscured on my bike by my rack and panniers. I like the simplicity of the idea, though.

I had been thinking of rolling my own brake light - using an magnet and reed switches on the brake levers to turn a rear light on and off.

Dave5N

Über Member
How often do ride at speed close behind another bike inside your stopping distance, unless it is on a clubrun etc or in a race? I certainly don't do it with people who I don't think can ride properly in a group. I do in a car though, all the time.

Secondly, on a bike I can communicate directly with a rider behind by talking or if need be shouting a warning. I can't do that in a car.

col

Legendary Member
They do seem a little out of the way and small?Now if there was a big bright thing that came on when you braked,i think it can only help,as thats the most known sign for someone slowing in front of you isnt it?

PrettyboyTim

Dave5N said:
How often do ride at speed close behind another bike inside your stopping distance, unless it is on a clubrun etc or in a race? I certainly don't do it with people who I don't think can ride properly in a group. I do in a car though, all the time.

Actually I was thinking it was for the benefit of anybody behind you, not just other cyclists. Brake lights give an instant indication that the vehicle in front may be slowing down, rather than having to judge it all by eye.

andygates

Drivers are not expecting it, and bikes have a pretty low speed-delta. Being rear shunted is the least common accident type.

Dave5N said:
Absolutely no point.
I agree I have panniers so no 1 would see them

Top Bottom