Brake pad replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
the time has come for me to look at replacing the brake pads on my allez

i was looking around and was wondering if it is worth replacing the calipers too? also are the pads i have cartridge type or will i need to replace the lot! the calipers are Tektro forged alloy, dual Teflon pivot with standard shimano pads (rest of the bike is running 2300) how can i tell myself if the pads are cartridge or not!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Road bikes you can normally buy either Brake block only or the whole block and holder? Do they look like this?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...iper-Brake-Blocks-Cart-System-1pr/BARABRBL225

PpPete

Legendary Member
yeah they do with the little allen key screw bit on the back of the holder thing.

I think you will find any of the Shimano compatible pads will fit.
The OBE pads are available in a choice of colours and are v. good value, esp if you buy 4 pairs, they wear quite quickly, but at that price who cares? Wouldn't bother with their holders though, rather cheaply made IME.
Or go the other way and get Koolstops which are top quality and last longer.

PpPete

Legendary Member
be interested to know what you think of them... both in terms of performance (I found OK) and longevity ( I went though a set in 1500 miles)

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Will do.

1,500 miles doesn't sound too bad provided the performance is there; and like you say "at that price who cares".

D

Deleted member 1258

I think you will find any of the Shimano compatible pads will fit.
The OBE pads are available in a choice of colours and are v. good value, esp if you buy 4 pairs, they wear quite quickly, but at that price who cares? Wouldn't bother with their holders though, rather cheaply made IME.
Or go the other way and get Koolstops which are top quality and last longer.

+ 1 for the Kool stops

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php/954/kool_stop_continental

Top Bottom