Brake pad screw problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harry1

Regular
I've lost a small screw from my bike for my OBE cartridges. It seems to be a common problem on road bike braking systems and so does stripping the screw heads.

Its a very small screw (almost a grub screw). The supplier confirmed that its a M6 size and 4mm long.

They either seem to come loose or I end up rounding their heads, which is even worse because it makes changing the brake pads a nightmare! I'm looking for a different fastener, perhaps a bigger head or deeper recess so that I don't round them. The screws are only 4mm long, so not many stainless steel options.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
M6 is massive (used for the main brake mounting bolt), so it won't be that size.

I would just buy new pads and padholders. They're not expensive unless you go for Swissstop or something.

Don't put them in too tightly and they ahould come out ok.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"I've lost a small screw from . . my OBE cartridges. It seems to be a common problem on road bike braking systems"
A common problem? Who says this? Stainless steel options? Overthinking.
One installs new pads, tightens up the grub screw (with a screwdriver which fits its head, thus not 'rounding it out' and never touch it again till the next replacement.
Get a replacement set of pads, which come with screws. Use one of those screws to secure the pad you have in. The screw invariably has threadlock on it. If it hasn't, dab a bit on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harry1

Regular
Sorry I meant M4 and 6mm long. They've come loose a few times now and I know other people have had the same problem.
So threadlocker might be a good option, but are the screws easy to get out when I need to replace the pads? I don't really want to buy a new set of pads and pad holders because mine are fine, I just want the screws. I was thinking of getting some torx drive ones so they aren't as easy to round off. I'm looking for some with a bigger head so I can grab around it easier if it gets stuck.

alicat

Legendary Member
If it's the screw that screws through the holder into the pad, then it's not even necessary if the holder is the right way round. Just buy a spare set of pads, use the screws if you feel you need to and above all make sure that the holder is the right way round.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've not quite understood. Is it this screw? Or is it something else entirely and I've missed the point.

upload_2019-7-26_11-25-32.png

I've never lost one and as @alicat says it's not strictly necessary unless you put your brake pads on backwards (or unless need to brake while reversing regularly)

If you buy pads complete with the holder thingy then the screw comes with them.

OP
OP
H

Harry1

Regular
Yes its those ones. I think if you roll backwards and brake, the pads come out? I'm not going to risk it, so I'm just going to order a new set of pads. Thanks everyone for your help.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The spring clips on V-brakes are a bit more necessary since those pads (IME) are more prone to dropping out. We had to bodge a friend's bike with a safety pin found in the works bike shed to get him home, because the insert was such a loose fit.

It’s a common problem. They really don’t need to be very tight, in fact you can get away without them, the brakes are designed so that the pads are pushed towards the closed end of the carrier under braking, and you’d have to be going some to vibrate the pads the other way. They really are there as an elf n safety / overkill measure.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The spring clips on V-brakes are a bit more necessary since those pads (IME) are more prone to dropping out. We had to bodge a friend's bike with a safety pin found in the works bike shed to get him home, because the insert was such a loose fit.
Top tip: a paper clip is perfect for this. I use luminous coloured ones so they are much easier to check. Always handy to carry a couple as spares.

Ajax Bay

Guru
are the screws easy to get out when I need to replace the pads? I don't really want to buy a new set of pads and pad holders because mine are fine, I just want the screws.
Yes - easy.
I understand you don't need new pads now, but you will in due course. So buy them now and use the screw for now, and when you fit the new ones down the line. Most cost effective solution.

Top Bottom