Brake pad 'toe-in'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

So as the wheel rotation approaches the brake pad, does 'toe-in' mean the rear edge of the pad is set closer to the rim, or the other way around?

There seems to be some confusion (in my mind at least).

Or do you just set them level to the rim?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Leading edge closer to the rim.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Needing a set of these myself as my Tektra ones feel quite spongy , just don't toe them in to much as the pads will wear unevenly and quite quickly .

Exactly the same here. I've read some great reviews about the Ultimates so I thought I'd give them a try.

I'll post up my view once I've tried them.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks, that does make sense. I guess confusion arises as the leading edge is actually to the rear of the bike.
See this:
pad_toe_line.jpg

So the pads need to be closer to the rim at the end of the pads that is nearest the front of the bike.
As you pull on the brakes, the rim tries to drag the brake pad along with it, and this twists it (about an axis coming out of the screen, as you look at this diagram). This brings the rest of the pad into contact with the rim.

If you toe-in the other end, the rim still tries to pull the pad along with it, and this time the twisting is in the opposite direction, so the left end of the pad (in the diagram) tries to dig further into the rim and judders along - this is what can make them squeal.

A whole page on brake advice here (just search that site if these aren't the same kind of brakes.

And if you haven't yet come across the fount of all knowledge:
http://sheldonbrown.com/
(don't let the basic web design put you off!)

Edited to add the missing link!

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks Spinney. Though that is the opposite of what @Poacher said in Post 2. Hence some confusion.
That's why I posted - using the term leading edge in this particular situation can be confusing - the end at the front could also conceivably be called the leading edge.
In this case a diagram is worth at least 50 words....!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Thanks Spinney. Though that is the opposite of what @Poacher said in Post 2. Hence some confusion.

...only if you interpret "leading" as meaning "to the rear", which strikes me as being wilfully perverse! :rolleyes:
My thanks to Spinney for the expanded explanation and diagram, which leaves very little room for misinterpretation.
Anyway, fine choice of brakes, Pottsy, and good luck with the toeing in. FWIW, one or two CC members who've had the misfortune to be on one of Totallyfixed's Rutland rides with me can tell you I'm not one to take advice from when it comes to toeing in - my old Holdsworth has old dura-ace single-pivot calipers (with koolstop pads) which can't easily, if at all, be toed in, and squeal like a herd of pigs in fear for their lives! Useful for putting the fear into wayward pedestrians stepping off the kerb without looking, but unwelcome in rural tranquillity.:eek:

Top Bottom