Brake pad 'toe-in'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I just put a bit of cardboard from the brake pad packaging under the leading/front edge of the brake block when adjusting it. Gives enough toe-in without having to think much about it...

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I just put a bit of cardboard from the brake pad packaging under the leading/front edge of the brake block when adjusting it. Gives enough toe-in without having to think much about it...
I've tried with a matchstick-sized piece of wood, but the damn things still squeal! Might need some sort of eccentric washer. Much easier with cantis!

screenman

Legendary Member
I've tried with a matchstick-sized piece of wood, but the damn things still squeal! Might need some sort of eccentric washer. Much easier with cantis!
Just give them a tweak with a large adjustable, well that is what Holdsworth did with mine back in about 1969. Mind you they would have been Weinman or GB damn it was a long time ago.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I kept a lolly stick for toeing in, slightly chamfered to give the right gap.

I tend to set the barrel adjuster slightly too tight so when I've got the brakes aligned and toed properly onto the rim I can easily slacken them off for riding.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Awesome brakes. I did replace the pads on mine pretty soon after fitting as they caused a gooey mess when wet. Swisstop greens improved the stopping power even more. Well chuffed.

Top Bottom