Brake Pad Wear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
My Kinesis originally came with Ultegra pads (infact the front is still there & only just failing after 12,703miles). The original rear ultegra pad got 9,600 miles before failing. It was replaced by a Salmon Koolstop, it just lasted 2,175miles. It was subsequently replaced by a black Swisstop and it lasted 837 miles and needs replacing. I'm not very impressed with the latter two, given their cost and I think I'm going to replace them with something cheaper on the short list are:
Aztec (standard or dual),
Halt Gooey's,
or Clarks.
Has anybody used them and how would they rate them or is there any other brand I should be considering?

zizou

Veteran
I was going to recommend a swisstop but 837 miles is pretty damn poor. I'm at about 4000 on their green one which is their wet weather compound

Is there a reason you are not going for an ultegra pad again?

I have Tiagra brakes on my bike- they're the top ones before you get into metal holders and separate pads. When I was looking to upgrade the price of buying pads and holders was more than I was willing to pay. Eventually I bought Ultegra ones with a plastic case.

Now they may not be what you want, and I have little to compare them with, however they certainly brake better than the Shimano all-in-ones I had before.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I thought I'd give the lbs a chance for a change, there stock as always was limited and I came away with BBB inserts (the only choice!) but given they were 2 pairs for £4.95 I'm not expecting miracles :rolleyes:

buddha

Veteran
I might try them when the BBB's wear out; how do you find them in the wet?
Of course, anything's better than std Ultegra pads on wet rims. But these are much better - close to koolstop salmon - but last longer IMO. Although I did have an issue with them overheating the rims (on a long, steep decent) when brand new, but fine since. But that may just have been down to human error!

Top Bottom