Brake pad - wheel rim incompatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello folks

Just put some new Jagwire brake pads on. The rim is a Mavic X517. They squeal as soon as I pull the brakes and no amount of fettling - toe in, flat, reverse them - will stop it.

I've had similar on the same rim with a pair of cartridge pads.

Is there any way to stop this? It's a PITA buying pads without knowing whether they are going to work.

Cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Clean and degrease the rims ?

OP
OP
T
I ran it back up to the shop at lunch and they recommended making sure that the brake arms were at exactly the right tension relative to each other and hitting the rim at exactly the same time. I'll try that first.

Cheers

TI

Jonathan M

Some makes of pads just do not work. Might be a pad:rim problem, but no matter what you do they'll squeal or just not offer any particular braking power.

Other thought about you noisy Jagwires, are they the type of block that slips into a cartridge holder, and if so are they a snug fit or are they loose?

I bought some cartridge type blocks once that were so loose they fell out of the holders!! I then bought some Ritchey replacements, and discovered that when wet they were so useless that it was like someone had oiled my rims! that was a costly mistake when i didn't stop and went into a wall in the lakes, wrecking a brake lever, shifter pod & handlebar.

Pads that i did find worked well: Avid, Shimano, but best of all the WTB dual compound jobbies, all of these for cartridge holder set up.

I'm not entirely sure if brake arm tension will make much of a difference though??

Top Bottom