Brake pads... mutter, mutter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

I was going to nip out for a quick evening / night off road ride last night. I got a mile up the road, braked and clank, clank, screeeech from the front wheel, followed by a click, click, click, click, click sound.

On closer examination one of the brake pads had disintegrated, the friction layer had simply parted company from the backplate, the other pad is still fine.

So, I limped home, swapped for the commuter bike and went for a quick 20 mile road ride instead so all was not lost.

Anyway.... I've just gone online to order a set of four pairs of Clarks replacements from CRC and...... Out of Stock....:rolleyes:

No bugger else seems to have the cheap replacement pads, just the originals at £15 a pair! My lbs wants £22 for a pair!!!! :smile: :angry: :wacko: WTF! Pads for my Landcruiser are cheaper than that!

So now I have no MTB available unless I want to fork out at least £30 for replacement pads - the Clarks ones were £18 for four pairs.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Superstar components?

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

I did look on there, they're not Clarks. I've used Clarks components for years without complaint so I'm reluctant to use any other 3rd party make.

Are the Superstar ones any good do you know?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use them, and they appear to stop the bike OK....

Someone will be along soon to tell you if you buy them your windows will fall out or something, and say that they have terrible customer care issues, but I find quite the opposite so far.

Apparently they once had a bad batch, the material came away from the backing pad, but I've gone through seven or eight sets now (Cubester uses the same pads as I do) and they haven't misbehaved. So, one bad batch, a couple of "You must spend a thousand pounds or your cock will fall off" forums and they have a bad reputation for life. ;)

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Cubist said:
I use them, and they appear to stop the bike OK....

Someone will be along soon to tell you if you buy them your windows will fall out or something, and say that they have terrible customer care issues, but I find quite the opposite so far.

Apparently they once had a bad batch, the material came away from the backing pad, but I've gone through seven or eight sets now (Cubester uses the same pads as I do) and they haven't misbehaved. So, one bad batch, a couple of "You must spend a thousand pounds or your cock will fall off" forums and they have a bad reputation for life. ;)

I like your style :biggrin:

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Well, I ordered the pads from Superstar and so far so good.

Order confirmation email received at 2.35.

Confirmation of dispatch email received at 3.03.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

.... and fitted.

Which is a very pleasant surprise after all the horror stories I've read about Juicy pads being a right PITA to fit. Took me about 20 minutes to change front and rear, and it only took that long because it's my first time and I was carefully studying how the old pads were fitted before I ripped them out.

Not something I'd choose to do in the middle of a muddy field but it certainly wasn't a difficult job.

bauldbairn

Debian said:
I've just gone online to order a set of four pairs of Clarks replacements from CRC and...... Out of Stock....:wacko:

Well done on fitting them so quickly - expect a performance review in a couple of weeks. :blush: I have Avid Elixir R's and I'm looking for pads as back up spares. :smile:

Well Off Topic but I had similar problems with 700 x 28 inner tubes recently, nobody had them a few weeks back - maybe summer demand? Then Specific Dunlop Sport SP9000 215/40 X 17" Tyres for my car(ordered and waited 4 weeks) before choosing different ones.
Is there some import problem - or is it the weak pound that is causing the delay(due to prices abroad being so high)? :wacko:

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Haven't used the new pads yet but I'm anticipating doing a few miles over the BHW. I might even be tempted to cycle up Wavering Down and Beacon Batch.

I'll report back on the pads after that.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You bought Superstar pads!! :smile: good luck

I've ridden with lots of folk who bought the 'mysteriously faulty' batch. It must have been a large batch is all i can say. Just to let you know what to look out for, the pad will come off the backing almost instantly, and they will fail without warning. They wear really fast too. but of course it was only one faulty batch :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Steve Austin said:
You bought Superstar pads!! :laugh: good luck

I've ridden with lots of folk who bought the 'mysteriously faulty' batch. It must have been a large batch is all i can say. Just to let you know what to look out for, the pad will come off the backing almost instantly, and they will fail without warning. They wear really fast too. but of course it was only one faulty batch :bicycle:
These are the ones Superstar sell with their guarantee, if you don't like them send them back?

Superstar Components - Great Value Direct!
  • A real guarantee - if you don't like your pads within 45 days of purchase, you can have your money back in full - even if they are used! This is how confident I am that you will love them.
I bought a pair form my LBS last month for Cubester's bike. They lasted one 12 mile ride. So, where the **** does that get us all?

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Steve Austin said:
You bought Superstar pads!! :laugh: good luck

I've ridden with lots of folk who bought the 'mysteriously faulty' batch. It must have been a large batch is all i can say. Just to let you know what to look out for, the pad will come off the backing almost instantly, and they will fail without warning. They wear really fast too. but of course it was only one faulty batch :bicycle:

But how long ago was this?

Top Bottom