Brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
You've had lots of recommendations for Koolstop and I endorse them too for all the reasons stated plus, they don't pick up aluminium from the rim track. If you look at your current pads where they touch the rim, you'll see lots of bits of aluminium in the pads. This causes a scraping noise and little ridges in the rim itself. Koolstop doesn't do this and has a patent on the stuff in the pad - ironically rust - that stops this from happening. The ones you want are the red or salmon ones.
Pad shape differs for Shimano and Campagnolo and the latter has two shapes - pre 2000 and post 2000.
thanks for great advice will order some koolstops later

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
You've had lots of recommendations for Koolstop and I endorse them too for all the reasons stated plus, they don't pick up aluminium from the rim track. If you look at your current pads where they touch the rim, you'll see lots of bits of aluminium in the pads. This causes a scraping noise and little ridges in the rim itself. Koolstop doesn't do this and has a patent on the stuff in the pad - ironically rust - that stops this from happening. The ones you want are the red or salmon ones.
Pad shape differs for Shimano and Campagnolo and the latter has two shapes - pre 2000 and post 2000.
most helpful...I now know why I have been getting the scraping sound on my pads/rims. I will order some this evening ( I would do now but I'm in work and the damn computer is so slow and just will not load the wiggle page!)

Brake pads.JPG

The top photo shows a standard Shimano brake pad with aluminium bits. You can see the bits as white specs on the black.
The middle photo shows a Koolstop Salmon pad used on the same rim - the rim below.
The rim in the photo shows the scraping marks caused by the black pads.

I can't figure out why the black rubber pads to this but I think it has to do with what happens to the rubber when it overheats. Perhaps the overheated bits turn into hard crumbly bits which then abrades and picks up aluminium. Perhaps we have a polymer technician on here who could explain the mechanism.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
View attachment 78787

The top photo shows a standard Shimano brake pad with aluminium bits. You can see the bits as white specs on the black.
The middle photo shows a Koolstop Salmon pad used on the same rim - the rim below.

I can't figure out why the black rubber pads to this but I think it has to do with what happens to the rubber when it overheats. Perhaps the overheated bits turn into hard crumbly bits which then abrades and picks up aluminium. Perhaps we have a polymer technician on here who could explain the mechanism.

What is your opinion on Swisstop green pads?
Reason I ask is I used the Koolstops on my winter bike for a few years, swapped to the green swisstops, they seem to give better stopping power, but how do you rate them re wear?

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
View attachment 78787

looks like you took a picture of my rims although they have so far lasted 7400 miles...how long are they supposed to last? It's been a most informative thread this and I am now fully sold on the koolstops.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
+1 on the clarks, really good and cheap as chips.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Koolstops here as well, though I think I might have Swissstop on the roadie at the minute.

Tried clarks from Halfords on the hybrid once, binned them in a week as I had worn them down!

Top Bottom