Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Does your brake use conform with your name?

How long have they lasted? I've had 1200 miles from a set of genuine Shimano pads, admittedly in mostly dry conditions and they're hardly worn at all.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You have to balance longevity with braking power IMHO. The softer pads such as Kool Stop salmons provide superb braking power, but harder pads require a serious pull on the levers to produce the equivalent braking effect.

In addition, the harder the pad, the greater the wear on your rims. Personally, I'd rather wear pads than rims.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Globalti said:
Does your brake use conform with your name?

How long have they lasted? I've had 1200 miles from a set of genuine Shimano pads, admittedly in mostly dry conditions and they're hardly worn at all.

Well yeah commuting alone i go down a 1 mile 10% hill with an island half way down so slowing down from 30mph to 10mph there. I would guess I have done at least 1k miles on them so far.

Garz

Squat Member
I also find after a 100 mile sportive my pads get hammered, way more than 5 x 20 miler local rides, so direct mileage doesn't always give a good indication of wear..

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well yeah commuting alone i go down a 1 mile 10% hill with an island half way down so slowing down from 30mph to 10mph there. I would guess I have done at least 1k miles on them so far.

Ah, yes, Mucklow Hill? I like going down that hill... rather more so than going back up it, anyway!

I've got Koolstop Salmon pads on both the Galaxy and Yukon. They're good, even in the wet, kind to rims but actually long-lasting: the ones on the Galaxy have lasted over two thousand miles so far despite me being heavy on the brakes while I've done over 1100 miles on the Yukon so far on one set of pads. If you need them urgently, I've got a spare set I could bring tomorrow morning?

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Ah, yes, Mucklow Hill? I like going down that hill... rather more so than going back up it, anyway!

I've got Koolstop Salmon pads on both the Galaxy and Yukon. They're good, even in the wet, kind to rims but actually long-lasting: the ones on the Galaxy have lasted over two thousand miles so far despite me being heavy on the brakes while I've done over 1100 miles on the Yukon so far on one set of pads. If you need them urgently, I've got a spare set I could bring tomorrow morning?

Nah not Urgent but I'll take them off your hands, Name a price and we will sort it.

Top Bottom