Brake performance old v new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Weinmann made some crazy brake designs, some of them good, some just plain odd. The "HP Turbo" screw brake was the weirdest, and didn't work very well: http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=496fd0c7-331f-4029-a94a-77473918b77d&Enum=117

Material choices could be very poor; the lightweight version of the common 500 side-pull had an alloy centre bolt. The hex head adjuster on it rounds off the moment you apply the special Weinmann "inverted allen key" tool. I had to rebuild mine onto steel centre bolts from the standard model. The drilled levers were cool, though.

Weinmann made some crazy brake designs, some of them good, some just plain odd. The "HP Turbo" screw brake was the weirdest, and didn't work very well: http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=496fd0c7-331f-4029-a94a-77473918b77d&Enum=117

Material choices could be very poor; the lightweight version of the common 500 side-pull had an alloy centre bolt. The hex head adjuster on it rounds off the moment you apply the special Weinmann "inverted allen key" tool. I had to rebuild mine onto steel centre bolts from the standard model. The drilled levers were cool, though.

Now that is interesting, never seen that before.

In what world do they live where they've never heard of ramp friction?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Now that is interesting, never seen that before.

In what world do they live where they've never heard of ramp friction?
van der Plas was very disparaging about it in his Bicycle Technology book because of the extra friction. I suppose the designers wanted to achieve parallel push like Magura Hydro-Stops but (as Shimano found out later with XT V-brakes) parallel push isn't a massive advantage and introduces a load of extra complexity and squeal-prone linkages.

van der Plas was very disparaging about it in his Bicycle Technology book because of the extra friction. I suppose the designers wanted to achieve parallel push like Magura Hydro-Stops but (as Shimano found out later with XT V-brakes) parallel push isn't a massive advantage and introduces a load of extra complexity and squeal-prone linkages.
Now now, be nice about Shimano's parallel push brakes. They are fantastic with a capital F. No squeal, perfect pad wear, great force and no rattles, in spite of what it looks like. Paired with the M-Wave (or somesuch) levers, they were the best for a decade or more. Regular cable and noodle changes and they were the best of the best.

I haven't read van der Plas' tech book however I have a copy of The Dancing Chain, published by him and I'm talking to him about a joint project at the moment.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
ISTR that Weinmann made their own version of Campag's Delta linkage brake, too. I know the Campag ones are heavy, hard to cable up, have unfavourable progression and are a solution looking for a problem but they sell for a fortune now and they are so pretty.

Drago

Legendary Member

I think Magura did something similar, and then took it one step further with hydraulics.

Top Bottom