Brake Question..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have just got myself a mtb first for many a year so its a bit new to me..

The bike I have just bought has Shimano M445 and Deore shifters no number with the shifters so a bit vague.
I would like to up grade the brakes as some of the other bits on the bike are XT I will upgrade to that level at least.
Which is the better..
XT M 785 Caliber and shifter at £55 or the XT M8000 Caliber and shifter at £65 both at chainreaction..
Is the extra tenner worth it do you think?

Cheers

outlash

also available in orange
Have you actually tried the brakes on the bike before you start shelling out? You may find they do the job just fine.

Jody

Stubborn git
I would take SLX over XT. The only gain on XT is the pad contact adjust which apparently doesn't do much. SLX and XT run the same calipers. Deore brakes are meant to be good so I would stick with them for a while and see what other upgrades you would want but I can see why you want matching XT kit. Based on looks alone it would be m8000.

First upgrades for me would be tubeless and a dropper post.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If you're set on brakes, I would say get the SLX. The difference as above is only the bite adjuster, otherwise they work as well as the XT. The tenner difference for this year's 8000 would be a struggle for me! They are however worlds apart from deore like you have. So. Yes, 785 over 8000, but 675 for the win. I have both, and actually prefer the SLX for their looks and feel.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
A this point I will say the new bike is a Trek Superfly 5 which I got over here in Spain for silly money and we will bring it to the UK when we fly in Jan..

The answer is I will try the bike but I want to learn about mtb's as well as road bike's.
As I'm new to mtb's I want to buy a cheap mtb as well and rebulid it, so the plan at the back of my head is upgrade the forks and brakes on the Superfly then put the gear on to the rebuild so I get two upgrades for the price of one.. if that makes sense.

outlash

also available in orange
Having recently bought a MTB as an alternative for off road to the crosser, I've found it's tyres (and my lack of ability) which'll be the limiting factor rather than braking. My bike has Tektro Auriga brakes and I've locked those up so many times as they're so much more powerful than brakes on any of my other bikes. I'd imagine the Shimano units on your bike are better than my Auriga's.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
If you're set on brakes, I would say get the SLX. The difference as above is only the bite adjuster, otherwise they work as well as the XT. The tenner difference for this year's 8000 would be a struggle for me! They are however worlds apart from deore like you have. So. Yes, 785 over 8000, but 675 for the win. I have both, and actually prefer the SLX for their looks and feel.

Cheers... The bonus is the Jan sales will be here soon so the price will come down a bit more hopefully?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Worth shopping around. Rose and hibike are worth checking as is probike. Merlin, Ribble, planetx etc. Iseem to think I got some for 85 quid..... OE perhaps, but no worse for that.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
55 is a good price for xt. Doubt they will go much, if any below 100.

We don't fly back with the Superfly till the kids have gone back to school .. (cheaper flights when they have gone back) so I've got a few weeks to see what happens with the prices?
I'd be happy at a 100 but cheaper the better. :okay:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
If price is involved I would still consider SLX. You can get them for less than 80 quid at the minute. I don't think its worth the extra 30+ quid difference.

Its head and heart at the moment.. My head say's SLX to save a few quid but my heart says XT to make it all look the same because I will keep looking at it and it will irritate me no end..lol

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
If price is involved I would still consider SLX. You can get them for less than 80 quid at the minute. I don't think its worth the extra 30+ quid difference.

Its head and heart at the moment.. My head say's SLX to save a few quid but my heart says XT to make it all look the same because I will keep looking at it and it will irritate me no end..lol

Top Bottom