Brake shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have just got an old Raleigh Nexos mountain bike back on the road. It is old and has awful single pivot side-pull calliper brakes which seem to do very little when applied. I have several new pairs of V brake blocks and am wondering why I can't use these on the bike. They have a threaded mounting arm just like the calliper shoes. I could discard the domed washers and replace them with flat washers. I am just wondering if anyone has tried this. I suppose I could, it would only take a few minutes to find out.

I have stripped and thoroughly cleaned and set up the callipers. they are free and pull on and release perfectly. I have been trying Clarkes shoes from Halfords but without much joy.

HovR

Über Member
I have stripped and thoroughly cleaned and set up the callipers. they are free and pull on and release perfectly. I have been trying Clarkes shoes from Halfords but without much joy.

Damn.. I was planning on replacing my current shoes with those. I've worn almost completely through the front pair, which I then swapped with the rear, and now I've almost worn through the new front ones again.

I don't see what harm could come from trying V brakes - Might as well give it a go!

Top Bottom