Brake squeal on my SRAM Force AXS hydraulic brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
I like hydraulic brakes but goddamn they can be delicate sometimes. So here's the story.

I see a brake pad wear measuring tool on a youtube channel a few days ago from Birzman. That looks handy I think, so I buy it. I check the brake pad wear on my Orbea Orca yesterday morning. Front pad needs replacing, rear pad does not. I replace the front pad. Then the pistons on the front caliper won't set properly. I suppose it needs bleeding then. I bleed front brake hose this morning. Takes me longer than I'd like (as usual) but I get there. This evening I decide I ought to bed the new front pad in. I do that, following SRAM's video guide. The front pad starts squeaking...great! Oh, now the rear pad is squeaking too - all I did was check the pads!

My frustration building, I get some kitchen towel and use it along with some disc rotor cleaner on both the rotors. They're silent for maybe two to three brake pulls and then it comes back, both squealing :cursing:

What would you do? Should I just give up and buy new rotors? Would I need to bin the new front pads too?

As I say I like hydraulic but these random problems that seemingly spring up as a result of trying to be dilligent with maintenance do irritate me. Given they're both squealing suddenly you'd think I'd decided to aerosolise the brake hose fluid but I promise I didn't!

Top Bottom