Brake upgrade, worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

I can assure you that my Tektro brakes were set up in exactly the same way as the 105's that replaced them. The Tektro calipers just don't compare to the 105's. Simple.

Absolutely nothing to do with setup and everything to do with being cheaper brakes, of which you cannot expect as much from.

I don't believe you. Simples.

bpsmith

Veteran
I don't believe you. Simples.
I don't care. ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Did they allow you to brake safely and avoid all accidents and collisions throughout their life cycle?
That's condition dependent, and somewhat in the eye of the beholder, I think.

Coming back down Mow Cop, they required more circumspection and forward planning than I was happy with, personally, given the degree to which some entrances onto that road obscure waiting vehicles. Riding with the Tektros, you'd need to keep speed down to be confident that the brakes would stop you within a safe distance (applying them more times throughout the descent). The Shimanos are effective enough that I feel happier at a higher speed. In the dry, on the flat, I'd suspect there's not a lot of difference (or what difference there is, isn't appreciable at the level I ride at).

However, I'm glad of the extra efficacy when descending, or in less than perfect conditions. So, to answer the question I *think* you're asking, the Tektros would be ok for someone either happy with a greater amount of risk than I am, or with a lower overall speed on descents and in inclement conditions.

If you want to test for yourself, I use Tiagra 9 speed levers (Triple on the front). The brake Giant spec'ed on my SCR2's model year was the "Tektro 521", apparently. I used the stock pads, then Koolstop Salmon, then Fibrax X-Treme in those brakes. I've only ever used the stock pads on the BR-650s.

The only collisions on that bike were due to a motorist entering a roundabout through my back wheel (the reason the DA22 wheelset weren't used with the new brakes, as the rear was rendered unrideable), and a slide on a patch of diesel. Sadly, neither were the sort of collision that required braking.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Oh, if it's significant, I use Fibrax "Powerglide" Teflon coated inner brake cables. Again, used for both the Tektro and Shimano brakes. Outers are Jagwire.

huwsparky

Über Member
I'm with cyclist33. The brakes will be fine, you'll only need new pads at worse. No point spending unnecessarily on a new bike. Enjoy it for what it is and upgrade in time as bits fail or as you see fit.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
My Defy 1 came with Tektro. It's been kept tidy and cleaned regularly. Brakes were pretty rubbish. Chucked a pair of 105 callipers on, with stock pads, and it's so much better! Well worth the small spend.
+1 exactly the same scenario here. You'd proabaly get away with just replacing the pads for something decent though.

young Ed

Veteran
well worth having good brakes IMO, i say fit a pair of 105 or ultegra calipers with something like either standard 105 or ultegra pads or kool top salmon or swisstop
all rated highly
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
TBH i think for road bikes i wouldn't like to ride with anything less than 105 calipers and good pads, many would disagree and say tektro will do fine but for me personally 105 is the base line nowadays. the only things stopping me going straight off on that corner and into that spiky hedge, hitting the back or that car, getting doored or that car pulling out on me and squashing me is my STI levers, brake cables, calipers and pads my life is worth the £60-80 on a good pair of calipers and pads
Cheers Ed

bpsmith

Veteran
+1 exactly the same scenario here. You'd proabaly get away with just replacing the pads for something decent though.
The 105 brakes are better than the Tektro with upgraded pads. Can buy upgrades pads for them once the Shimano pads are done, for an even better experience. :smile:

S.Giles

I can see how different brake pad and rim materials, condition, the presence or absence of water, and maybe even temperature would have a bearing on brake performance, but the rationale behind swapping brake callipers of similar geometry escapes me. Maybe someone could explain the thinking behind this for my benefit. Thanks.

bpsmith

Veteran
I can see how different brake pad and rim materials, condition, the presence or absence of water, and maybe even temperature would have a bearing on brake performance, but the rationale behind swapping brake callipers of similar geometry escapes me. Maybe someone could explain the thinking behind this for my benefit. Thanks.
Why do people swap tyres of similar geometry then I wonder?

Or any other component. Surely you don't think they are all the same...

Top Bottom