Brake upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spotted a pair of Tektro R725's on Ebay for a decent price so the Holdsworth conversion has had an upgrade

from this
trike6.jpg
to this
IMG_1273.JPG

Paul

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Why 2 calipers? I presume no rear brake?

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Rear brakes have been found to be virtually useless on a diamond framed racing trike as the available traction is spread over two wheels and the wheels just lock at the slightest provocation not that I am any sort of expert having only recently started riding a trike ,but as far as I know it's a legal requirement to have two independent working brakes and trikes are allowed to have both brakes on the front wheel,usually most have cantilever brakes with a side pull or centre pull brake mounted on a stub brazed or bolted to the front of the fork crown or two V-brakes mounted in front and behind the forks but I spotted this arrangement online and figured modern brakes should offer some improvement over 40 year old centre pulls :biggrin:

Paul

starhawk

Well I remember that the rear brake was virtually useless on the upwrong, but the front one was a dangerous contraption, had me flying over the handlebar once, I made a somewhat perfect fivepoint landing (knees, elbows and the nose!)

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Well I remember that the rear brake was virtually useless on the upwrong, but the front one was a dangerous contraption, had me flying over the handlebar once, I made a somewhat perfect fivepoint landing (knees, elbows and the nose!)

I found out the hard way on a steep descent at the end of April to never ever ever brake when cornering on a upright trike , the inside wheel promptly lifted as the trike tried to tip over the front wheel and I ended up clipping the kerb and being thrown off the trike and into a lamp post breaking my shoulder :wacko:

I've seen something similar on a tandem years ago. Well executed.

What do you do for levers?

Just standard Tektro drop bar levers .

Paul

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, do you have both levers on the front wheel now? I was thinking you had tandem levers or something and were pulling 2 cables with one lever.

fixedfixer

Veteran
How much more efficient are they once the shoes have bedded in , love to hear your comments in a few weeks time .

@PMarkey. I was wondering how much improvement you have now the brakes have had the opportunity to bed in a bit? Any recommendations on pads that seem to have more 'bite' to them? I've a lacklustre long arm Caliper on the rear of a home built LWB recumbent.

I found out the hard way on a steep descent at the end of April to never ever ever brake when cornering on a upright trike , the inside wheel promptly lifted as the trike tried to tip over the front wheel and I ended up clipping the kerb and being thrown off the trike and into a lamp post breaking my shoulder :wacko:

Paul
It's definitely a goldilocks situation.
No brakes and the trike picks up to much speed and flips.
Too much brakes and the resultant forces lift the inside wheel to far and the trike flips.
Get the braking just right and you go around the corner on two wheels with a ......... ^_^ ....... from ear to ear.

It's easier on a bent trike as the CofG is lower so slightly more leaway.

I tried fitting the Tektro to my Ken Rogers Clubman trike. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to reach the rim. At present it has a cantilever brake on the front and a pretty hopeless hub brake on the rear axle (it's a two wheel drive machine with differential). Next plan is to build up a new front wheel with a well run-in Sachs hub brake.

Upright trikes are tricky machines, they bite!

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
You could try a dropper plate as pictured for the rear brake or if it's only just not reaching the rim file the slots,just make sure you use something decent for the dropper plate,a brake arm sawn off an old brake was suggested on the on3wheels forum @404 Not Found Anywhere.Out of interest does your Ken Rogers have a Trykit conversion for two wheel drive ?
brake.jpg

@PMarkey. I was wondering how much improvement you have now the brakes have had the opportunity to bed in a bit? Any recommendations on pads that seem to have more 'bite' to them? I've a lacklustre long arm Caliper on the rear of a home built LWB recumbent.

Not had the chance to get out on the trike much due to still recovering from my crash but the few short spins round the block show a marked improvement over the old centre pulls but I am considering switching out the front brake of the pair for a modern twin pivot sidepull to see if that gives more stopping power,another option is to go over to salmon koolstop brake blocks @fixedfixer as blocks on at the moment are just something they had in the local bike shop in lieu of koolstops.

Paul

Top Bottom