Brakeless.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm going to kick off the controversial subject here as I've seen a few people riding brakeless here in (hilly as fook!!) Bristol. I'd be intrigued to hear some anecdotes from anyone here who does this as it all seems a little bit unnecessary to me.

BTW, everyone I've seen riding brakeless has been doing about 5mph down the somewhat less steep hills around here (in locations which say they've done a fair old detour to avoid main road hills - Park Street for example).
So it strikes me that the major disadvantage is that it's bloody slow! Not something for people who can't afford to kill time taking quiet routes and avoiding hills and traffic.

domtyler

Über Member
Utter, utter madness.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Just dont stop, its all fine. Who needs brakes anyway, its all in the legs, its more zen innit:wacko::biggrin:
Personally i have 2 brakes on my fixed, dont use the back one now though, i used to use it on long steep hills, now its just there for emergencies.

Try suing a driver who has knocked you off your bike. Even if the collision was entirely the driver's fault I'm sure the biker's lack of sufficient brakes would be used as a mitigator.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Alan Frame said:
Try suing a driver who has knocked you off your bike. Even if the collision was entirely the driver's fault I'm sure the biker's lack of sufficient brakes would be used as a mitigator.

you could claim that the collision caused the brake to fall off and go down a grid, then bill him/her for that too :biggrin:

BentMikey said:
I keep wanting to criticise brakeless fixed riders, and then I realise that I'd be a bit of a hypocrite given my skates, LOL!
There isn't a legal obligation to have brakes on your skates.

Brakeless fixies are just the epitome of macho bullsh*t. :tongue:

Thedude

I have been riding brakeless for a couple of weeks now due to my brake caliper being snapped off in a collision with with a car (irony?). At first I was nervous for obvious reasons but the now I feel it has forced me to be more aware of my surroundings and made me a safer rider.

However I still intend to get another front brake as going down hills with a traffic stop at the bottom can get a bit hairy. In the end it is personal choice. I like anyone uses a bike for their predominant form of transport other than walking.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Chuffy said:
There isn't a legal obligation to have brakes on your skates.

That's true enough.

Funnily we have the same sort of brake/no brake thing going on in the skating world. Even a plain old heelbrake is pretty hard to use for a beginner - it's not like squeezing a lever on the bars, but many advanced skaters think that it's a crutch that prevents you from learning further advanced stopping skills. I have some sympathy with the argument that the same applies to fixed wheel riding.

BentMikey said:
many advanced skaters think that it's a crutch that prevents you from learning further advanced stopping skills. I have some sympathy with the argument that the same applies to fixed wheel riding.
'Advanced stopping skills'? WTF? Is squeezing a brake lever too mundane or something? ;)

Tharg2007

Veteran
Chuffy said:
'Advanced stopping skills'? WTF? Is squeezing a brake lever too mundane or something? ;)

no it aint, but using your whole body to stop your bike rather than your fingers is an advanced way of doing it. If taking the easy way was what it was all about we would all be in our cars.

Tharg2007 said:
no it aint, but using your whole body to stop your bike rather than your fingers is an advanced way of doing it.
Fine, but brakes (two of 'em and yes, I do know that legs count on a fixie) are a legal requirement. You might as well argue that braking using the gears and handbrake are an advanced way of stopping in a car, but that doesn't make it any less daft as a real-world solution.

If taking the easy way was what it was all about we would all be in our cars.
Depends on your definition of 'easy'. To me, taking the hard way in this case is just macho bravado and that's never been my favourite flavour. ;)

Tharg2007

Veteran
im not saying you shouldnt have a front brake, im merely pointing out the benefits of braking with your legs. For me I have front brake but try to use my legs as much as poss, only use front brake when I really need to. Doin it the hard way doesnt mean do it the hard way and no other way :biggrin:

Top Bottom