brakes need more power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
on some really steep descents (where speeds over 35mph are easily reached, even though i'm quite cautious) i find that the brakes do not provide as much stopping power i would like - was still doing about 16mph with the brakes on at one point :rolleyes:.

they are shimano tiagra calipers and cables with original (front)/cheap replacement cartridge (back) blocks.

what's the best option for getting more out of the brakes? new shifters not an option for budget reasons, so do i go for new calipers, better cables and blocks or all three?

or something like these extra levers?

monnet

Guru
I can't imagine extra levers would make a big difference unless you feel part of the problem is that you are lacking a bit of confidence. Check the wear on your blocks (and rims) to see if you can identify and obvious weakness. If everything is in good condition then maybe an upgrade is in order.

I would upgrade the calipers and blocks, even if it's just up to shimano 105. I ride shimano 105 with ultegra calipers and blocks and it made a difference when i switched. Alot of people recommend Kool Stop pads though I've never used them myself.

trio25

Über Member
My bike has shimano tiagra calipers and I upgraded to Kool Stop pads, the difference is amazing. I am now a lot more confident with my brakes and would recommend this as a cheap improvement.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
thanks chaps.

trio25: where can you get kool stop for shimano? they all seem to say campag compatible, but will the pads fit in a shimano compatible cartridge (mine is a fibrax set).

trio25

Über Member
These are probably what you are looking for?

linky

I didn't have cartridge brakes so I just bought the whole lot from my LBS.

Tynan

Veteran
the as supplied brake blocks tend to be crap, one of the things to get changed along with tyres etc

Top Bottom