1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by simonali, 21 Jan 2008.

1. simonali

simonali Über Member

This might seem a daft question, but are the frame studs for V brakes in the same place as canti ones?

2. barq

barq Senior Member

Yep, the bosses are interchangeable.

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Doesn't mean a direct swap will work properly though. STIs and campag equiv.s are notoriously bad with V-brakes. Dia Compe levers (as pointed out here t'other day) should work but won't help you change gear.

Mini V's will be ok.

I assume that's what you're doing. Nobody in their right mind would surely swap Vs for Cantis?

4. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

Here's the plan: gonna try and make the old MTB into a single speed (not fixed as I can't think of a way of tensioning the chain properly). It is has cantis on it and as my Rapidfire shifters and brake levers are as one, I thought I'd treat it to some new V brakes and the applicable levers.

What are mini Vs and how do they differ from the normal ones?

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I think your plan as it stands is the best option.

6. Cantis are more than good enough for road riding though. Might be different if you intend to go off road. But yes, to answer your original question, Vs and cantis use the same bosses.

7. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

:angry: Unless you need to stop at some point!

8. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

Check what braze ons your frame has in the way of cable stops. V-brakes require a run of outer to the brake, whereas cantis require a stop for the outer, allowing only the inner cable to run to the brake arms.
    I know of some frames where the rear brake cable routing for cantis is less than ideal for Vs, and might result in needing to run cable outer all the way from the lever to the brake arms.

I'd agree with Rhythm Thief, if you're on-road only, then cantis will be fine. Dave5N just needs to pull his levers harder! ;-)

9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Now't wrong with canti's - I've got some good 'uns on my commuting MTB and hooked up with V-Pads they are great.

10. OP
    OP
    simonali

simonali Über Member

So I could upgrade the front to a V brake then regardless, as there aren't any braze-ons for front brakes. Mind you, I have a set of original Pace RC35 forks on it with backward brake bosses, but I think these are clamped on and therefore reversible?

It's all getting complicated in my brain box now. Maybe cantis will be fine!

11. I still use old LX cantis on my tourer, and they've been able to stop it fully loaded from nearly 50mph with no problems. :tongue:

12. Linear-pull brakes (Shi**no call em 'V-brakes') need linear-pull specific levers which pull much more cable than levers designed to work with regular cantilevers/sidepull calipers. In other words, you cannot use linear-pull levers with cantilever brakes and vise versa.

You can wire them up but they'll be either exceedingly weak and hard to pull or exceedingly spongy and over powered and rub on the rim the whole time depending on the combination.

13. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

I can't imagine a situation where you'd have a problem fitting Vs on the front cabling-wise. If you're mounting them on the back of you RC35s you might want to check the top of the arms and/or the cable "noodle" don't foul the downtube when turning, but as long as that's ok your cable run shouldn't cause too many issues. I think I've seen Vs mounted on Pace forks before, but they may be newer models.

Might look a bit odd, but if you really want the extra stopping power you could run a V brake on the front (where most of your braking effect is applied) and a canti on the back (if your cable runs don't suit Vs). Usual rules about lever/brake type compatibility apply.

14. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

15. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I'll break me bleedin' hands if I pull any harder.