braking downhill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dynoram

Regular
What is the best method of using the brakes on a steep hill? Is it best to use the brakes both together; use them in an off/on method to avoid rims overheating? Do rims suffer damage anyway from prolonged application of the brakes?

Unless the hill is extremely long (like an alpine descent, where rims can overheat), no longer term damage than usual would be resultant. I like to feather the back brake on most rides (including downhill) for control and then apply the front brake to actually stop. Some folk like to use the front brake more (its more effective) but unless you are skilled its easy to grab too much of the lever and this may result in you coming off.

Recycler

My guess is that it makes little difference. All your brakes are doing is tranferring the energy of your movement into heat (and a bit of noise!) so whether you are producing that heat smoothly or intermittently it will still be the same amount of heat.

I think!

The exception is when the wheels are wet. I then "pulse" the brakes to dry them a.s.ap.

I tend to use both brakes.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i use both as the stock brakes are cr*p and i cant be bothered to replace them until they are worn!

if it makes noise then i pulse the back one (generally makes more noise than the front) and in the wet i brake earlier!

If the hill is very steep, get very low on the bike and slide as far back as possible. Your but should be over the rear wheel and your chest should hover above the saddle use both brakes. Be careful not to skid too much, and have fun.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
If the hill is very steep, get very low on the bike and slide as far back as possible. Your but should be over the rear wheel and your chest should hover above the saddle use both brakes. Be careful not to skid too much, and have fun.
i love your style of riding , keep it up

Top Bottom