Brand new Brompton squeaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Check the suspension block. That would be my first choice.
There's a video on Brilliant Bikes YouTube channel showing how they come apart and it mentions putting a dab of grease on the bolt to prevent it squeaking.

Rocky

Hello decadence
It might be the folding pedal. Try a drop of chain oil on the bearings. I’ve had that problem on my bike.

(It can be the pedal bearing running dry - not the folding mechanism)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It is usually the suspension block. Brompton assembly is not always very good. A friend has just bought a new one and couldn't get the pedals off because they were fitted with no grease. The wheelbuilds can be atrocious. I pulled mine apart and rebuilt them.

It is usually the suspension block. Brompton assembly is not always very good. A friend has just bought a new one and couldn't get the pedals off because they were fitted with no grease. The wheelbuilds can be atrocious. I pulled mine apart and rebuilt them.

not good to hear. Shame really, I liked the bromptons but maybe one to stay clear of if thats the case. Has anyone ever fed that back to Brompton customer service and received a response I wonder. Rebuilding a new bike after paying premium money would pee me right off

Gunk

Guru
I thought they where a good little bike. What a shame

They are a very good bike, they just rattle a bit, part of the charm!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Sturmey-Archer hubs also tend to rattle, more so if well-worn. The modern ones with the "no intermediate gear" mechanism have an additional thin steel component which can rattle insufferably.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I have a brand new Brompton that squeaks.
Though the others are probably right about the suspension block as the most probable root cause I'd make this the dealers problem. A brand new bike must not squeak and if it does it is the dealers job to fix it as par of the warranty (and to become red faced for not having done a proper inspection before delivery). In case you got the bike posted it might be more comfy to fix it yourself but if dealers or the factory are not notified of problem (and have do deal with them) there is no chance that they will learn to avoid them in future.

mitchibob

Über Member
They are a very good bike, they just rattle a bit, part of the charm!

Yeah, as some guy who rode up to me during last year's Dunwich Dynamo said, "Ah, the unmistakable rattle of a brompton", but it was on that particularly rough bit of carriageway going to towards Epping.

They rattle less if you don't stop pedalling ;-)

Top Bottom