Brazil versus North Korea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
A fairly comfortable win for Brazil against a neat, well-organised NK (lacking the flair of SK). Great defence by NK but the goalie let them down at the near post for the first*. Brazil were silly to let themselves relax too much near the end, but NK probably deserved the goal, and unlike Italy, France and the UK, Brazil won, which is what matters.

* though Maicon's shot was pretty damn good.

Jmetz

Maicon's shot was 100% a hit and hope IMO, poor keeping yet again, definately the plague of these finals.

There isn't a single side bar Germany which have impressed me to date.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Jmetz said:
Maicon's shot was 100% a hit and hope IMO

I don't agree, it was hit low, hard and with purpose - usually hit and hope crosses are higher than that. And the other Brazil goal was even better - great Robinho pass that took out half the NK team.

Jmetz

No, i dont think it was a cross at all, a definate attempt on goal. But it was just a case of strike it as hard as possible, for me the keeper gave that goal.

In fairness to NK their goal in regards to the freekick and set-up via the header was pretty much as good as any scored yet.

NK tactic of total defense was never going to work, it took time but, conceding is pretty much inevitable defending deep and not holding the ball. Brazil had all the time they needed to keep it and chip away at them. Saw plenty of it at a certain club last season and in any game where a team starts to drop deep to defend for that matter. Valid if they were a goal up but when the opposition wants to win it won't work.
Game opened up and was much better for it after the 1st goal and I'd like to see NK playing more in the rest of their group games rather than the defensive tactics tonight. I reckon they could cause the other 2 teams problems if they do. Can't fault their effort and workrate even though there looked to be some very tired legs by the end of it.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mad Doug Biker said:
England, England! get it right!! :laugh:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever... it's not as if there is any player who'd get into a UK side from any of the other nations anyway, with perhaps the exception of Giggs. ;)

Seriously though, apologies.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Stunning second Brazillain goal though..top banana!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Flying_Monkey said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever... it's not as if there is any player who'd get into a UK side from any of the other nations anyway, with perhaps the exception of Giggs.

Harsh, but probably true.

Seriously though, apologies.
Don't worry about it, we are used to it unfortunately, just as you lot in Canada probably are when Mr Johny Foreigner on his Hodliays comes over and refers to you guys as being in the U.S. or just simply, America. ;)

yello

It was a shot in my book, a cracking one at that. He saw the gap between keeper and near post and went for it. Nice bit of swerve too. Only a Brazilian could do that!

Re the defending, I thought that whilst Nth Korea defended in numbers* and got bodies in the way on occasions, that they defended zones in too static a line and marked space. They failed to pick up runners and left players unmarked in dangerous positions. Basic level defending really. I though Brazil would rip them apart.... but that's Brazil sometimes. I guess they did what they needed to do.

Edit: *I counted 6 at the back at one point, with 2 maybe 3 midfielders sitting in front of the central defenders.

Top Bottom