1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bread making machine

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Speicher, 29 Jun 2008.

1. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral

I hesitated to put this question on here, but as it involves a machine and some technical stuff, I thought some people might be able to assist.

I was given a Bread Maker by someone who was updating theirs. There is nothing wrong with it, they just wanted a bigger, more complex one. :angry:

The list of ingredients calls for amongst other things water and skimmed milk powder. They also suggest you could use milk (bear with me on this :blush:). Does the milk therefore have to be skimmed, or do you get a better result if you use semi-skimmed or full fat milk. (I often have full fat milk because I like it in coffee).

The main reason I would be using the machine, if successful, is to try some more exotic breads like "Cheese, onion and herb bread".

Another question, if I want to do rolls or Chelsea buns, it says to cover the prepared dough with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to rise.
    Years ago, did we use a tea towel to cover the dough? Also I have not got a airing cupboard to put it in to rise, so what temperature should I set the oven at to rise the dough, or does that not work?

I would be grateful for any helpful suggestions. Thank you

2. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

If you're starting out it's best to follow the instructions to the letter, as they are very different from "traditional" breadmaking, and some of the ingredients and proportions seem counter-intuitive at first.

Once you've got the basics under control it's then much easier to branch out. I make onion bread etc in mine.

For the rolls, clingfilm is definitely better - you want to create an ideal microclimate for your yeast, and it seals perfectly. The reason why people used tea-towels before was presumably because clingfilm wasn't available.

Your rolls will rise at room temp, don't worry, they'll just take a bit longer. Using the breadmaker to prepare the dough means they're already prewarmed anyway, so they have a headstart.

3. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

We put normal milk in the bread machine one of my housemates at university had, we also put lots of other weird things like dried tomatoes in to make tomato flavoured bread. It didn't seem to do it any harm whatsoever from what we could tell. On the other hand we would have probably just laughed had it broken or exploded.

No idea on the dough.

4. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral

Thank you that was a very quick response. I do not want to use cling film, as I cannot bear the "clingy/plasticky" feeling of it, and it goes everywhere but where I want it to go, so it stays in the drawer for years on end.

I think the machine is very robust, I just do not want to waste good wholemeal flour and the other ingredients, if milk makes it inedible.

5. monnet

monnet Über Member

I always see in recipes for dough 'wrap in cling film' and ignore it. Teal towel works fine for me. My granddad was a top notch baker and confectioner and he always used a towel even when clingfilm was available. Best bread (and cakes)i've ever had so I don't think it matters.

6. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

My Granny always used a tea towel and I never heard any complaints about her cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

My nan always used a teatowel and her rolls were rubbish:biggrin: - she could do a mean onion stotty cake though :blush:

8. yoyo

yoyo Senior Member

I have owned a Panasonic breadmaker for many years. I have used whole milk in it with no poor results but normally I use powdered milk. I hope you enjoy experimenting with your machine and that it gives you many loaves of yummy bread. At present I am trying to work out how to make successful gluten free bread without having to buy the special packs as I have recently been diagnosed as gluten and dairy intolerant. Perhaps someone has some ideas??

9. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

If you use a tea-towel instead of clingfilm, before taking it off the risen dough, spray it liberally with water. This will free the dough from the tea-towel, and it won't collapse as you lift the towel.

Do you really need to use a breadmaker? I find it more satisfying by hand. There are two loaves in the oven as I type, and SWMBO is drooling already.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I always use a mixture of water and proper semi-skimmed milk, after trying a whole load of combinations. I've got it perfect now, and make 2-3 loaves per week. I've found that if you warm the liquid up in the microwave before you pour it in you get a bigger, lighter loaf.

11. sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert Well-Known Member

Ill stick to making sandwiches!

12. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral

Twenty inch, I agree that I do not have to use a bread maker, but I was given it to try out, if I don't get succcess with it I will pass it on to someone else.

Thank you Mister Paul for your suggestion of warming the liquid. The last loaf I made came out a bit dense. I think I may have tried to cut down on the quantity of salt too much.

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

I've always made bread by adding milk, rather than milk powder and water. That's in a Panasonic breadmaker. I think cutting down on salt makes the bread heavier - something to do with the gluten stretching...

14. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral

As opposed to stretching your gluteus .....:becool: ?

15. Speicher

Speicher Vice Admiral

We seem to have so many bakists on here, can I ask another question?

When I make scones, they turn out dense like biscuits...... but when I make biscuits they turn out fluffy like my scones, instead of crunchy like they should be. Where am I going wrong? :becool: