Bread making machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I hesitated to put this question on here, but as it involves a machine and some technical stuff, I thought some people might be able to assist.

I was given a Bread Maker by someone who was updating theirs. There is nothing wrong with it, they just wanted a bigger, more complex one. :angry:

The list of ingredients calls for amongst other things water and skimmed milk powder. They also suggest you could use milk (bear with me on this :blush:). Does the milk therefore have to be skimmed, or do you get a better result if you use semi-skimmed or full fat milk. (I often have full fat milk because I like it in coffee).

The main reason I would be using the machine, if successful, is to try some more exotic breads like "Cheese, onion and herb bread".

Another question, if I want to do rolls or Chelsea buns, it says to cover the prepared dough with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to rise.
Years ago, did we use a tea towel to cover the dough? Also I have not got a airing cupboard to put it in to rise, so what temperature should I set the oven at to rise the dough, or does that not work?

I would be grateful for any helpful suggestions. Thank you

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
We put normal milk in the bread machine one of my housemates at university had, we also put lots of other weird things like dried tomatoes in to make tomato flavoured bread. It didn't seem to do it any harm whatsoever from what we could tell. On the other hand we would have probably just laughed had it broken or exploded.

No idea on the dough.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you that was a very quick response. I do not want to use cling film, as I cannot bear the "clingy/plasticky" feeling of it, and it goes everywhere but where I want it to go, so it stays in the drawer for years on end.

I think the machine is very robust, I just do not want to waste good wholemeal flour and the other ingredients, if milk makes it inedible.

monnet

Guru
I always see in recipes for dough 'wrap in cling film' and ignore it. Teal towel works fine for me. My granddad was a top notch baker and confectioner and he always used a towel even when clingfilm was available. Best bread (and cakes)i've ever had so I don't think it matters.

yoyo

I have owned a Panasonic breadmaker for many years. I have used whole milk in it with no poor results but normally I use powdered milk. I hope you enjoy experimenting with your machine and that it gives you many loaves of yummy bread. At present I am trying to work out how to make successful gluten free bread without having to buy the special packs as I have recently been diagnosed as gluten and dairy intolerant. Perhaps someone has some ideas??

If you use a tea-towel instead of clingfilm, before taking it off the risen dough, spray it liberally with water. This will free the dough from the tea-towel, and it won't collapse as you lift the towel.

Do you really need to use a breadmaker? I find it more satisfying by hand. There are two loaves in the oven as I type, and SWMBO is drooling already.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Twenty inch, I agree that I do not have to use a bread maker, but I was given it to try out, if I don't get succcess with it I will pass it on to someone else.

Thank you User for your suggestion of warming the liquid. The last loaf I made came out a bit dense. I think I may have tried to cut down on the quantity of salt too much.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've always made bread by adding milk, rather than milk powder and water. That's in a Panasonic breadmaker. I think cutting down on salt makes the bread heavier - something to do with the gluten stretching...

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
We seem to have so many bakists on here, can I ask another question?

When I make scones, they turn out dense like biscuits...... but when I make biscuits they turn out fluffy like my scones, instead of crunchy like they should be. Where am I going wrong? :becool:

LLB

The cling film like the tea towel is there to stop the dough skinning up before you knock it back, and also to help the dough keep its warmth to keep the yeast going till it has consumed the sugars in the mix.

yoyo

Perhaps you should make scones and biscuits the traditional way? I only use my breadmaker for bread.

purpleR

Guru
Speicher said:
When I make scones, they turn out dense like biscuits...... but when I make biscuits they turn out fluffy like my scones, instead of crunchy like they should be. Where am I going wrong? :ohmy:

I know that over-mixing the dough can make scones dense; use a knife or a fork to mix as quickly as you can and don't overdo it. My Gran always used slightly sour milk (like using yoghourt to make soda bread) - the acidity makes the baking soda more effective and the scones are airier.

As for your fluffy biscuits (:becool:). It occurs to me that Americans call use the word biscuit when they describe something like a scone. It's not an American recipe you're using is it? Otherwise, are you using plain flour? Also, I think biscuits have quite a high fat content, which is one of the things that make them crispy. If you had tried to cut down the fat in the recipe it would make a difference to the final texture of your biscuit.

Top Bottom