Bread making machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Bought a cheap one out of Tesco at the start of March - didn't want to spend a lot on it just in case we didn't get on. It's great - now I can make bread when I need it, rather than spending money on a nice loaf on a Saturday that gets left to go moldy after a day of use. And it's always a nice treat on a day off to set the timer and wake up to a freshly-baked loaf for breakfast.

Only problem I've had is that now it's a bit warmer, I'm having problems with the bread failing to rise properly, resulting in a dense, brick-like loaf. I think I may need to get a thermometer and start checking that the water temp is right...

yoyo

We have been through two electric knives since getting our breadmakers! We use ours daily for making bread for packed lunches. I cannot make yeast bread by hand to sav my life but I am fine at making soda scones, bread and biscuits.

Is there anyone who can tell me how to make gluten and dairy free bread in the breadmaker as I have recently been diagnosed as intolerant of the above?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
yoyo said:
Is there anyone who can tell me how to make gluten and dairy free bread in the breadmaker as I have recently been diagnosed as intolerant of the above?

Dairy free ... just use oil instead of butter, and skip the milk part out... but sorry I can't help with the gluten. Is that a case of using different flours...? (But I have done a nice cake for a friend which used pureed apples and almond meal instead - delious - a Nigella recipe).

mr Mag00

rising member
use spelt and old style grains for flour, its the crossing of all the grains to produce todays modern wheat which we mill has led to gluten problems and so old traditional grains are not as bad or irritating for you, the same goes for homogenised milk and various other foodstuffs we have 'improved' for the consumer over the years by food technologists and scientists

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
yoyo said:
We have been through two electric knives since getting our breadmakers! We use ours daily for making bread for packed lunches. I cannot make yeast bread by hand to sav my life but I am fine at making soda scones, bread and biscuits.

Yoyo - I know nothing about breadmakers, but I found this in wiki :
Bread machines generally do not deal well with non-wheat flours, so any recipe that requires a substantial addition of a grain such as rye or corn that lacks gluten will prove difficult at best in a bread machine, as will any dough with unusually large amounts of liquid (such as ciabatta).

Hope it helps

Andrew

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Trembler49 said:
I must echo Speichers comments. We had a breadmaker which blew up and then we bougt a Panasonic. It's really good and very consistent.

I don't think it was me that said that! :ohmy:
I was given a Morphy Richards bread maker to try out.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Speicher said:
There are lots of plum trees at the bottom of my garden. In August we have a Plum Fayre in this town.

Some plums are quite small and a very dark purple, but other people's range widely in colour and size. You can visit the tent erected for the specific purpose of viewing other people's plums as well as plum jam and tarts.

There is a large group of Volunteers who help out on the Day. They wear specially-designed t-shirts in dark purple. This means that if they sucked any plums, and got squirted on, the stain would not show.

I believe that on the same day, the Firemen have an open Day at the Fire Station, and you can go and admire how smart they look, complete with their shiny helmets.
oh Lor! :biggrin: A whole Fayre devoted to plums! Dies everyone wear T-shirts with the slogan "Wrap your gums around my plums"? I think they should :smile::smile::biggrin:

i have one, theyre great, you dont need to follow guidelines exactly IMO, anyone that isnt sure/ want to try something different, there are some great books out there, i have this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Breads-Breadmaker-Karen-Saunders/dp/0091900433

and recommend it wholeheartedly... theres a sticky ginger cake in there thats amazing, and many others worth trying....- its part of a series, and if this is to go by, theyre all worth getting.... if anyone wants to try the ginger cake, i dont mind posting the recipe on here, bit long winded though to be bothered with lots of recipes!!

yoyo

Thank you for all your info. Now that school is almost over for the year I shall get baking and see what I can come up with.

Just to echo the Panasonic is very reliable and easy to use. Have not had any experience of a breadmaker blowing up ---yet!

Top Bottom