Bread Making recipes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RaRa

My bread maker has been languishing at the back of the kitchen cupboard since we moved home from the States. Somewhere along the way we lost the recipe book and now I can't remember a single recipe.
Does anyone have a standard recipe for an average loaf made in a bread maker? The easier the better! ^_^

OP
OP
RaRa

RaRa

Ummm - I think it's a Breville although I'm at work now and can't check. I've googled recipes and got a bit confused with the american measurements. I will check the Panasonic site though and maybe steal from them.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You can always buy those packet mixes - just add water. I've made a few of those in my panasonic, and the amount of water stated on the packet works.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Water in first, with oil, salt and sugar/honey. Then flour. Then quick-mix yeast. Look online for the proportions.

wormo

Guru
I have a panasonic. Following recipe for large white loaf I use every week.
1 1/2 teaspoons of fast acting yeast goes in first.
600g strong white flour
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of powdered milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (ensure doesn't touch yeast)
20g butter ( am going to try with 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead as use this hand made bread)
400 ml of water

If want wholemeal/granary insert 400g of that flour for 400g of white flour (still total of 600) and use 420ml of water. Get a fab loaf everytime. Use this recipe for my bread rolls apart from slightly less water.

Couldn't live without breadmaker as use 3/4 times a week. As well as making bread by hand.

OP
OP
RaRa

RaRa

Awesome - thanks for the suggestions

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Water in first, with oil, salt and sugar/honey. Then flour. Then quick-mix yeast. Look online for the proportions.
Interesting - my machine has the stuff the other way up! Yeast in first, then the rest of the dry stuff, then the water/oil!

Oops - snap, Anne!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I forget what make we've got, but the instructions to put the wet ingredients in first are to make sure that the yeast doesn't get wet until you want it to - so that, for instance, if you set it on a timer overnight, your yeast hasn't worn itself out before the machine has a chance to mix.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
This

Hovis packet mixes work best IME

The packet mix used to work a treat in my Panasonic until the packets marked "New improved recipe" hit the shelves last year. All I got was a bread 'brick' from then on. I've tried four or five time since, with the same result.

Using the recipes in the manual or in the free book I got with it still make superb bread, so it's not a machine fault. I just buy the proper Hovis Granary flour and use that to make a Hovis Granary loaf.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I usually put half a crushed Vitamin C tablet in too... helps the dough prove: f-in-l told me to do that [he was a baker for 50 years]

OP
OP
RaRa

RaRa

I usually put half a crushed Vitamin C tablet in too... helps the dough prove: f-in-l told me to do that [he was a baker for 50 years]
Actually this makes perfect sense as I found a half open tube of Vitamin C tablets in the mix bowl and wondered why there were there.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Don't put it in though if using anything with "Flour Improver" added [that's just Vitamin C!].
Don't need to put vinegar into mixes either... it's only added by commercial bakers as a preservative to prevent mould in the stored loaves.

Top Bottom