Break apart bike, do they exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have my first folding bike, so it can go in the car boot, more secure than a bike rack, but heavy, specially being electric. The battery will come off easy enough, and the seat will come off, but the bike is in the main one big lump.

I also have a mobility scooter, seat comes off, and tiller folds, the two batteries come off and the rear wheels and motor comes off, and I remember on a walk with late father, stripping in, carrying it over a stile, and rebuilding the other side, although in the main it went in my car whole, it could be carried in other cars by stripping it down.

A folding bike light enough to lift over a stile by a 70 year old, is unlikely to carry 22 stone, and lifting the bike into car boot is not the easiest operation. Hopefully the driving licence will arrive soon and the bike will become recreational rather than essential transport and I can travel to where I want to ride it, on the flat, which means no need for electric, so maybe another bike that folds, and maybe even carried on a bus, Dolgellau to Barmouth is a lovely flat run on the old railway line, but the return stretches it a bit, specially if light sand has blown on the track to the bridge, catching the bus one way makes sense.

Having two even weights one carried in each hand is easier than one big lump. The mobility scooter has spring brakes magnet release so no cable to brakes or motor, simple electric connections, but sure with epicyclic gears, and new type brakes it is not insurmountable to have the bike split it half. So is it done?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My Raleigh Evo-2 could be taken in two halves if I replaced the piivot bolt with a safe alternative, but the problem would be the brake and gear cables!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
S&S couplings exit to split tandems. you can get "full sized" folding bikes

one example:
https://www.montaguebikes.com/

I see from a quick flick they are now doing ebikes, but their regular bikes arent that heavy but will carry your weight better than a small wheeled folder.

Moulton is the gold standard for takedown bikes. They have been used by expedition tourists. The suspension provides some protection from peak loads with heavy riders.

If you want a leccy one...
https://www.arccbikes.com/products/moultontsr-electric

Any standatd bike can be converted to takedown with S&S couplings. Bob Jackson can build with them.

Dahon make some lightweight folders as well as heavier ones.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

The Moulton I remember from years ago, suspension on front wheel, seem to remember testing suspension and all the ball bearings fell out, spent ages picking them up again and sticking them in with grease. early 60's.

S&S couplings exit to split tandems.
Now that is interesting, gave tandems away as could not carry them on car. Had two at one point, wonder if you could fit a motor to front and rear wheel, well going silly one in each crank too, so 250 watt, just 4 of them? Kidding honest.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As Michael says Mouton is the best separable bike, don’t know if there are even any others. The price is pretty eye watering so you’d better be sure you want one. They are not designed to be carried but packed in a suitcase for travel so I don’t think it would suit you.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A modern Moulton spaceframe splits in half by removing a 6mm allen bolt and unscrewing a little plastic collar by hand. Any cables to the rear part of the frame (there may not be any for kickback hubs or fixies) have barrel joiners that are unscrewed by hand too.

It probably takes 1 minute or less.

Kell

Veteran
There is this bike .

I'm guessing you could split it in half without removing wheels and handlebars.

But it looks like the seat post keeps the front triangle in place, so that would have to come out.

Ritchey Outback Break-away review: the zen machine - YouTube

Ritchey Break-Away Bike Disassembly & Packing Instructions - YouTube

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
and ideally a second foldable rider - I think he's planning on riding solo.

Yup - but previously mentioned they gave away their old tandems, but was interested in finding out more about breakapart vesions.

Now that is interesting, gave tandems away as could not carry them on car. Had two at one point, wonder if you could fit a motor to front and rear wheel, well going silly one in each crank too, so 250 watt, just 4 of them? Kidding honest.

Top Bottom