Breakfast porridge the night before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Kervin

Über Member
I usually have porridge for breakfast before a ride but I then have to wait 3 hours to digest it all. Has anyone tried having their breakfast the night before and going out with just a coffee? I do like to put a bit of effort into the ride not just toddling along.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't eat so much porridge ! ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
...or get up 3 hours earlier :laugh:

We're all different...why not try it and see if it works for you. Lots of people don't eat breakfast at all and happily cycle

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I've been out for rides even on an empty stomach. Basically getting out of bed and instantly jumping into kit then out the door. I eat 2hrs later when I come back

There are two kinds of carb loading before for a big ride, the stuff done to top up your glycogen reserves (best done the night before), and a reserve of energy in your stomach that is steadily digested as you exercise, to keep your reserves topped up and provide a buffer.

By waiting for digestion before going out, you're negating the benefit from it, as the glucose released by digestion will follow the same metabolic pathways as if you scooped some sugar into your gob - namely, any that doesn't get burned immediately or turned into glycogen will trigger a release of insulin that will convert it to fatty acids.*

Back when I used to do moderately large days on the bike, I'd add a dollop of marmalade to my porridge to give myself a burst of energy and allow me to overcome the "bogged down" sensation that comes with having heavy carbs sitting on the stomach.

As for fasted rides, they can be good efficiency training for your metabolism. If you do so, go for short hard efforts or medium steady efforts. And have food with you on the bike so that if you get into trouble you can get back out of it.
Hitting the wall a.k.a. "bonking" is not only one of the worst feelings in the world, it's dangerous.

* I'm not a nutrionist so I'm willing to accept that I might be wrong here.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It depends on your digestion and how much you eat!
Recently I've been doing ~50 miles on just a couple of cuppas in the morning, but then I have built-in energy supplies and don't ride at warp speed.
I have had a good brekkie before and set-off quickly and really struggled as the blood went to my digestive system not my legs. So I would always have at least an hour before riding after brekkie, but that's just me....

OP
OP
J

John Kervin

Über Member
Lots of different ideas, thanks.
I'll just have to try it and see what happens. I'll also try all the other ideas put forward, should be interesting!
Thanks everyone for your response.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It depends on your digestion and how much you eat!
Indeed. AND where and how hard you are riding.

I rushed out underfed to meet someone once and this was the result...

I hadn't given any thought to that process until I found myself coming up to a busy junction HERE in Marsden after crossing a lot of tough hills and suddenly bonking. I immediately became incapable of working out how to get across the road without being hit. An apparently simple task that we all normally have no problem with had become very hard in the course of a few seconds. :wacko:

My riding companion had already sprinted over in a gap in the cross-traffic. He had to turn round, recross the junction and take me to the Co-op down the road for emergency refuelling.

The whole idea of porridge/porage is that it digests slowly and so releases energy slowly to give your body a constant supply of energy to use over a prolonged period.
Eating it at supper time means you will waste the energy (possibly in wild dreams) and then wake up hungry.

Top Bottom