Breaking News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Mine has about 70 miles on it, I gave it a spin this morning to mickle the chain and it sounds like metallic popcorn, so guessing the BB is dry.

I was assured when I bought the bike (by the so called mechanic) that the BB30 had been checked and greased by himself personally (fecking lier!) there's no chance I'm handing my bike back to them to check over or re-grease, I wouldn't trust them to check with the air that surrounds the bike.

I was also told (upon buying the bike) that they had been instructed had to check all the BB30's , so I guess typical halfrauds they've ignored that too.

Checking the FSA web site they also say, it's possible to grease the bearing, so might just go and buy some finish line ceramic grease and do it myself (I have the tools and the knowledge) and if the bearing id goosed, it's only £28 for the full bearing kit, which I should charge Halfords for repairing

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Identical situation to me, I was assured, I was also told by the staff that unless I clean the BB30 after every ride then it will keep on happening. I blew a gasket to be honest. Metalic popcorn was exactly how mine sounded.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bb30-bearing-system-installation-and-removal http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-service-bb30-press-fit-bottom-brackets-29544/

I let them do mine, because if it goes again, I am going to take it further IMO the lies were the worst part and the fact that CB just kept on referring back to Halfords.

Andrew_P

When I say CB it really was him, I tracked him down on Bike Radar and exchanged emails with him and his CEO

e-rider

crappy member
Nice bike, not sure about the Gatorskins though and the two front lights are illuminating your front tyre rather than up the road! Bag is very close to rear tyre too - I'd raise it 1"

Alun

Guru
Nice bike, not sure about the Gatorskins though and the two front lights are illuminating your front tyre rather than up the road! Bag is very close to rear tyre too - I'd raise it 1"
+1 What he said about the bag. I've got the same bag and there is quite a lot of spring in the mounting, which you will notice over a speedbump (even if you're going as slow as me :whistle:)

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Back in business ..cost me £11 for a tube of ceramic grease (recommended by EBC) .. took me an hour (I take my time) pretty easy to do too. Found another problem too, taking the retaining bolt off the none drive side, it was rather loose, I just used my fingers to remove it :headshake:
Anyways the sealed bearing cover comes off pretty easy to expose the ball bearings, I used an old injection syringe to force the grease into the bearing gaps (yes it was grease free) and now it's as smooth as you like once put back together :thumbsup: a simple job anyone can tackle.

Tung
The gatorskins work great, have you ever cycled the North East roads? :ohmy: the lights were fettled after the picture was taken and the bag raised too :thumbsup:it runs as sweet as a nut now ...just got to give it a polish to remove my greasy finger marks :giggle:

Here it is after cleaning and wearing the CT Buff

standalone

standalone

FWIW I had to re-grease the BB30 on my CAAD10 after only a couple of rides. It's been absolutely fine ever since, but it annoyed me as I've never had to do it with any Hollowtech II BB, but hey ho, like I said it's been fine ever since so I just put it down to experience :thumbsup:

Andrew_P

FWIW I had to re-grease the BB30 on my CAAD10 after only a couple of rides. It's been absolutely fine ever since, but it annoyed me as I've never had to do it with any Hollowtech II BB, but hey ho, like I said it's been fine ever since so I just put it down to experience :thumbsup:
According to Boardman bikes a big batch of BB30 were shipped dry\almost dry and every BB30 bike was a potential problem not just CB Bikes. Which is fair enough stuff happens, but I like Norm appears to have done I bought mine by interviewing the Halfords store and the one that appeared to agree that this was the case and agreed they would ensure it was greased.

Back to the bike, I do not love it like I do my best bike but is a very functional bit of kit a almost perfect all rounder/winter bike and once I remove the best bike from my mind enjoyable, I have not been able to keep track of miles as the Garmin went balsitic on one ride but at a guess around 1500 miles on it now.

I Run 28c GP4Seasons which have been fine, the first time you get one I would suggest changing the rim tape as it is not very good, suffered a fair few punctures until I tracked down the root cause!

dandare

I've got to admit the Boardman bikes just keep getting better and better. That does look a decent bit of kit.

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
It will be again once I've replaced the BB30 bearings, so it's off the road at the moment :sad:
As a bike though I'm thoroughly enjoying my outings with it, it's smooth (when the bearing work) to pedal and a little bit harsh on the roads (down to using 23 tyres and 110 psi) so I added some padding to the drop bars which has helped a great deal.

IMHO you get a lot of bike for your money, has some great kit on it, apart from the poor microshift front mech, which makes shifting up a bit too stiff (I'll change that at a later date to an apex). Brakes once set up right, stop with authority (setting them up is easy) and the bike just handles really well at speed or over some rougher terrain.

Overall a brilliant bike, just let down by the poor BB30 bearing life after I bought it.

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Nice bike, any reason you bought a cross bike though? :smile:

And what rear mech do you have on it?

I wanted a good all rounder and the Boardman team CX fitted the type of bike I was after. I use some rough ash paths as part of my cycle routes, and using the Specialized Allez over them, I was always wary of causing damage to the frame (I'd already destroyed a rim in a short time) I have no worries with the Boardman. I'm also a big fan of disc brakes over rim brakes.

The bike is equipped with Sram Apex double tap shifters and Sram Apex rear mech, but the front mech is a Microshift one, why they didn't just use the Apex throughout I don't know. The microshift mech has a very strong spring attached to it (I've already snapped two inner cables), which causes a stiff up-shift and a very clunky down shift, I'll change this to an Apex one very soon.

Psyclist

Über Member
Ah, fair enough! And I'm glad I bought 105 mechs for my bike, I'm running Microshift Arsis shifters though, so will have to see whether they turn out to be good or bad.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom