Breathing trouble after excercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Hi all,

when I get in from a ride I'm usually red faced and breathing badly, I'm fine with that its because I pushed hard and my fitness is poor.

A few times (inc this eve) I've gotten in and had issues breathing for several hours after which I dislike, any thoughts on why this is or how to avoid it?

Glover Fan

Do you have any allergies?

I'd be inclined to go to the doctors if I'm honest, even when completely unfit the worst you should get is breathlessness for 5 mins tops.

OP
OP
D

david1701

I had asthma when I was a kid, but nothing in 5+ years

could be allergic I spose but is impacting as soon as I come in and not getting better, not knowingly been allergic to anything outside but there is a lot of dust around the house as we've been moving stuff around

Glover Fan

You new to cycling/exercise?

I'm not a doctor, but already ex asthma and lots of dust about and the fact you are adding cardio work suggests your symptoms are not normal.

I would be making an appointment with your GP just to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
D

david1701

fairly, I started late last year, but started properly with a will (as in trying to get out every day and add the miles with a goal) about 6 weeks ago but over the last 2 weeks ish I've been ill so not out as much, my first ride in a while was tuesday and it was much gentler than today (though I was fine after)

if I feel rough again I think I'll call the doctors but its not something I like doing

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I developed asthma in my early 30's after a life of playing sports with no previous symptons

I was getting very weazy after exercise (though not during exercise), went to doctor and was diagnosed, I have no problems now as I control the symptoms.

I do find Spring time can be bad due to the tree pollen. I suggest you go see the Doc.

Norm

... but over the last 2 weeks ish I've been ill so not out as much, my first ride in a while was tuesday and it was much gentler than today (though I was fine after)
The information is coming out a bit drip-feed, but I think that this would be the important bit.

Do you have any other symptoms? Were you on antibiotics for your recent illness?

If it doesn't feel like an asthma attack, my (completely unqualified based on the limited information given) guess would be that you haven't been ill but you are ill.

A lung infection which has a marginal affect on lung capacity, which wouldn't be noticed in normal life, does get picked up because we get more breathless, we lose a bit of time on a regular run, we can't get up a hill in the same gear. Those doing regular exercise will notice stuff that most others wouldn't notice, because you are pushing yourself more.

You've been rough recently and the breathing issues are also recent... exercise can highlight relatively minor changes in our health. It could just be a cold or a cough, it could be a more serious infection like pneumonia, it could be asthma, there's any number of viruses and bacteria which can affect the lungs.

OP
OP
D

david1701

I think it was a bit of a hangover from being ill before as I did 26 miles this afternoon (10 miles further than I've done in one sitting before) and was absolutely fine despite having breathing issues this morning.

I think its a massive false alarm but I'll be keeping an eye on things for a while, thanks very much for taking an interest and trying to help.

Top Bottom