Breathing !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Earlier this year after having some health tests carried out at my local hospital I was informed that I was not breathing properly which given I have been doing it since I was born rather surprised me.
They told me that I was not using my diaphragm correctly and that I should practice taking a lungful of air in and expelling it very slowly.
Do you think that this could be the reason I am such a rubbish cyclist especially when it comes to hills and have you been told the same.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I just tried it and farted :giggle:

sight-pin

Veteran
Shallow breathing doesn't help that's for sure, i also struggle with hills and have to stop frequently.
I shallow breath, found out when i was diagnosed with copd after a reverse lung function test. They suggested i do the same breathing technique but i find it hard to remember to keep it up. But i reckon you should try it, it can only be to your advantage.

Tyke

I was told his after I had the heart attack and it does help but four years on I still have to think about it to do it

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm the same. I didn't realise I was doing it until I was in hospital having my blood pressure taken and one nurse spotted that I wasn't breathing properly while I was watching the machine. It was messing up the readings and made it look like I was even more ill than I actually was.

I also sometimes stop breathing when having dental work done or injections and can end up fainting from lack of oxygen.

It amazes me that something so fundamental can go so wrong without one being aware of it until it is too late! :wacko:

tyred

Legendary Member
When you take a breath in. Do you belly breathe? Or chest breath

This. Breathe deep into the abdomen and breathe out slowly. Shallow chest breathing isn't really good enough.

I didn't know how to breathe either until I started taking yoga classes. The difference it made to my hill climbing was amazing, even when I smoked.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks everyone for your replies. Duckehhh I think I chest breath. Sorry to read that some of you have the same problem to. I am now going to try and practice breathing correctly to see if that helps.

e-rider

crappy member
If I'm at rest, my breathing is shallow - surely this is normal?

Are you talking about breathing whilst cycling/exercising?

Top Bottom