Breathing !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Earlier this year after having some health tests carried out at my local hospital I was informed that I was not breathing properly which given I have been doing it since I was born rather surprised me.
They told me that I was not using my diaphragm correctly and that I should practice taking a lungful of air in and expelling it very slowly.
Do you think that this could be the reason I am such a rubbish cyclist especially when it comes to hills and have you been told the same.

have a look at>

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsy4xmkVmow

How to Breathe While Cycling

albion

Guru
You all forget that we often breath according to our make up.
I was mildly shocked the other day to find myself properly gulping useful air going up-hill.

The reason being that inflammatory reaction of swollen airways did not kick in that day.
My normal shorter breaths I'm sure are an attempt to reduce swelling.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless you have been told how to breathe properly for cycling its difficult to know.

I used to tell the younger lads to slow the breathing and do it more deeply when they were out with the club. It takes practice.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Kind of on topic: this is what heavy breathing sounds like when you're cycling up a hors categorie climb (yes, we do have a few of those in Australia). I still feel exhausted just watching this video :laugh:.

Last edited:

michaelcycle

Earlier this year after having some health tests carried out at my local hospital I was informed that I was not breathing properly which given I have been doing it since I was born rather surprised me.
They told me that I was not using my diaphragm correctly and that I should practice taking a lungful of air in and expelling it very slowly.
Do you think that this could be the reason I am such a rubbish cyclist especially when it comes to hills and have you been told the same.

Given that cycling is principally an aerobic activity and aerobic respiration requires oxygen to generate energy then sure it maybe one reason.

That said I can breathe just fine and I am pretty rubbish when it comes to hills myself!

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Apparently breathing in through your nostrils creates a vortex type wind pattern which fills lungs up deeper than through the mouth.

From my own experience, because im a pro at breathing) ;) there comes a point where not enough air can pass through them no matter how much nose blowing you give it. Which I do more than football players, got both at once skill nailed to the T. Ride buddy is disgusted lmao

Ian A

Über Member
If you really want to know about breathing I suggest you ask a swimmer they are the real experts.

I'm neither a proper swimmer or an expert but one of our tri club swim coaches gave us a great demonstration of how little of our lung capacity we were emptying when breathing out during swimming. We were doing breathing drills and this was to help emphasise the point. If you can swim and have access to a swimming pool go to the deep end and hold the side or tread water. Take a deep breath and then stop treading water/let go of the side and exhale. As the air leaves your lungs you will sink. Try and get to the bottom. For a lot of people (me included) it took a few goes to gauge how much you have to exhale. You can lift your feet behind you and land on your knees at the bottom of the pool so you can go lower in the water. This doesn't work very well in a shallow pool :biggrin:.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm neither a proper swimmer or an expert but one of our tri club swim coaches gave us a great demonstration of how little of our lung capacity we were emptying when breathing out during swimming. We were doing breathing drills and this was to help emphasise the point. If you can swim and have access to a swimming pool go to the deep end and hold the side or tread water. Take a deep breath and then stop treading water/let go of the side and exhale. As the air leaves your lungs you will sink. Try and get to the bottom. For a lot of people (me included) it took a few goes to gauge how much you have to exhale. You can lift your feet behind you and land on your knees at the bottom of the pool so you can go lower in the water. This doesn't work very well in a shallow pool :biggrin:.
I can stand in the deep end of my local :smile: Apparently shallow pools save on overheads

Top Bottom