BrevM Sellino Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can't find any reviews of the BrevM Sellino saddle online and it seems like a great little saddle, so here goes:

I've had this one on my main bike for a bit over a week now, bought from Winstanleys for £12.50 down from RRP of £25 (but it's widely discounted at other retailers too). I've done 30+ mile rides on it on consecutive days and it's remained comfortable... I mean, I'm ready to climb off after that and a break after 20 miles helps, but there's no pain once I'm off, and after a rest, I suspect I could ride another 10 quite happily before my bum gets tired again.

BrevM seems to be the accessory brand for Masi Bikes, a Milanese bike maker that moved to California. The bikes seem to have no official UK retailers yet but at least the accessories are here!

As mentioned in the Urban Velo preview that drew my attention to it, it seems quite a similar shape to famous old saddles like the San Marco Concor (classic version, not the recent ones), which means that it's actually saddle-shaped (curves up front-back and down side-to-side) and not the currently-fashionable Y-platform shape.

But like modern saddles, it has the now-usual pair of round rails underneath so it should fix to most bikes and its covering seems fairly hardwearing - I'd rather not lean it against walls and so on but the bike has fallen (*@$#ing wind!) and the saddle hit the ground but wasn't scuffed or torn. I've ridden it in the rain and it didn't seem to dampen my backside. I've not left the bike parked out in rain because I try to avoid that (and there are covered cycle parks in town).

The saddle has a bit of padding, but we're talking a modest few mm uniformly across it and not the structured gel I have on another bike. I've been fine riding it unpadded and I suspect it'll be OK padded too, if I'm feeling bruised for any reason. I think the saddle flexes slightly to soften the worst, but I do feel bumps in the road much more than on my sprung saddles.

The motive for changing saddle was that the Selle Royale Maya Moderate I was riding had a tighter curve on the edge that meets the back of the top of my thigh and that seemed to cause irritation when I did two 40-mile rides on consecutive days. I've got four consecutive days with rides over 30 miles coming soon, so that needed fixing. My fallback is to transfer my Brooks to the roadster but I feel the care required with that saddle doesn't really suit a workhorse bike.

I started thinking back to what I used to ride. I don't remember having saddle problems before I got a new bike a few years ago, despite riding every day at one point. I guess I made a serious error in giving away my 1980s/90s saddle when that new bike arrived, so I started looking into saddles that would have been common in that era, trying to guess what I once had and trying to spot what has changed in saddle design. I think this might be close to what I used to ride and I suggest other people with retro bums ;) might like to try this saddle instead of paying Eroica-inflated prices for the modern reissues of the classics.

Any questions?

saddle.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This saddle has been moved to one of my lesser- used bikes. It's basically comfortable but I missed springs too much.

Top Bottom