Bridgestone Synergy RB2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
When I first got this I had high hopes of it being a good bike,and someone told me how he had put all modern technology on it instead of the clunky Shimano lx items.

WP_20170408_011.jpg

Well so far the lx equipment has behaved impeccably and I really can't see the point in replacing it.

The Ishawata 4130 triple butted frame rides as good as all the Reynolds frames I have and ad around 14 kg it's not a lightweight.

WP_20170408_010.jpg

All in all I am impressed and will be keeping an eye out for another one .

WP_20170408_006.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
The old LX stuff was never fashionable, despite working with typical Shimano slant-parallelogram efficiency.

People get stupidly hung up on weight, and for most riders its far from the most important factor.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another 23 miles this morning.

WP_20170409_003.jpg

First issue as well when the front mechanism lever screw slackened itself of and rendered outer chaining unusable, quickly tightened up once home.

Rod_Saetan

Veteran
"When I first got this I had high hopes of it being a good bike,and someone told me how he had put all modern technology on it instead of the clunky Shimano lx items."

"Well so far the lx equipment has behaved impeccably and I really can't see the point in replacing it."

That was me, kinda, I have an 88 that arrived like this:

IMAGE_B132C39C-D7D9-4A3B-AAD4-AB0249CFB887_zpsakxjehaf.jpg

The Exage stuff on it was mostly worn out, the hubs needed servicing/constant re-tightening, the teeth were worn on the chainset, the BB was gone and the brakes and mechs had excessive play in them, I tool all this stuff off, and then realised that the stem and bar were steel too, so I took them off and did some investigating. As it was the same frame and fork as the RB1 which was specced with higher end kit and I was replacing the kit on it anyway then I figured I would rebuild it with Shimano Sante/600, alloy Nitto bars/stem/post and generally make it (more-or-less) period correct, but higher end. As a side effect of all this the bike will be lighter, that was not my main intention though, I have never built anything with a weight in mind (except my own!).

The other RB2 I have came as a frameset and was destined to be a winter commuter, it was, as it turns out, a poor choice as I couldn't make the mudguards I wanted to install work with the fork crown or with the modern long arm front Tiagra mech. This bike has served me well with a Tiagra 4700 groupset and period wheels/finishing kit, and it does ride very nicely, I will be replacing it with something more Audaxy this summer and move the stuff over.

Anyway, yours looks like it arrived in much better nick and I'm glad you're getting a chunk of use out of it, they really are very smartly designed bikes.

Top Bottom